Help Tiny Chick Broke His Leg!*PICS*UPDATE AND NOW HAS SPLAYED LEG!?!

if he is walking (even with a limp) try to put him with some of the other babies for a little every day for some chicken "occupational therapy" (just being a chicken
jumpy.gif
) he will probably tire out quickly at first but build up the time spent. he needs to use it some to get back full strength and mobility. eventually he will be strong enough to rejoin all and you will never know it was broken.
clap.gif

Life is hard, but GOD is good!

dmb/mm

mmaddie's mom- The only bad thing is, is that I have no other chicks to put him with...
sad.png
If I incubate a couple eggs will it be to much of an age difference?
idunno.gif
anyways though, thanks for all the help.
smile.png

a gentle hen then, a good mommy? just someone who he can be a chicken with. I would guess that by the time you hatch some chicks for him he will not need the help anymore. Do what you can to provide him chicken company if only to put him in a crate or enclosed area with other chickens around him (not in with him but close enough that they can interact... feed everybody in close contact).

Miracle was lucky/blessed in that his mom and brother never deserted him during the whole thing... they would visit the cat crate he was in every day and lay there with him on the other side of the door... when i started letting him out to exercise, they took him right back and would go slow so he could keep up... that was a miracle, too.

If none of that works, get him some exercise by taking him out with you while doing yard work or ,at least get him into a bigger run... he needs to work that leg now so he can get back to 100%. All this is so that when he is better, he will fit back in to the flock without any major problems.

You're doing a great job... keep it up.
thumbsup.gif
Does he have a name yet?
idunno.gif
I'll keep checking in to see how he is doing.
caf.gif

yup! His name is Lucky! He looks like he is trying to figure out a way to get out of the box lol. Today he is using his feet, and is just

limping a bit. Ima try and figure out a way to get him some company like you said, but idk if I'll be able to. If I can't I'll definatly take him

out for some exersize
big_smile.png
Right now he is having fun exploring our front porch (More like a sunroom because its all enclosed) I let him out

for about 15 minutes a little bit ago. And his wing is doing better, it is not black and purple anymore. still a bit swollen maybe, Im going

to try and clean all the dried blood off also, but I have to wait until we get some neo for the cut
hmm.png
Hopefully that will be today!Quick

Oats are alright to feed them arnt they? I think I'll feed him some later if they are, because I don't think he likes the scratch very much
hmm.png

I need to get him some starter
hmm.png

Anyways! I am going to try and post pics daily.
big_smile.png
Heres his pics from today!
wee.gif

60753_sdc11252.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11253.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11278.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11261.jpg
[/img]

Cooked egg yolks and unflavored yogurt are good foods, too.
Be SURE he has grit to eat to help him digest the foods you're feeding him. Chick starter is easy for chicks to digest, but all other kinds of food require grit as a supplement for chicks. You can put some tiny stones or sand in a small container for the chick to eat small bits out of for grit.

Oh my he is looking so much better. I have a chick that looks so simular to him right now. This chick too had leg problems, perhaps a broken hip socket. Mine chicks leg doen't look like the limb itself is actually broken. But I've had him in my sun room for about two weeks now along with a companion chick. The little hurt one is actually starting to put all three toes down, still hobbling along, but putting weight on his leg. So I feel good that this hut chick may have a life among the rest of the flock eventually. So glad you too are having good luck and didnt cull.
Continued sucess
Jan

Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't post pics yesterday, I was to busy. but here are the pics from yesterday, I'll try to post some from today later.

Lucky's still limping, but he is eventually getting better
smile.png
Yesterday I had to tape the flaps of the box up to prevent him from escaping!

He already jumped out once!
lol.png
(Pic below of how I fixed the box) but anyways, heres some pics from yesterday. I'll try to post some

newer ones from today later.
smile.png
wee.gif

60753_sdc11320.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11315.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11319.jpg
[/img]

Back
Top Bottom