Help Tiny Chick Broke His Leg!*PICS*UPDATE AND NOW HAS SPLAYED LEG!?!

BeccaB00

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Kansas
GO TO PAGE 6 FOR THE SPLAYED LEG POST

Hi everyone, I have ANOTHER problem. A couple weeks ago my hen hatched out 3 chicks. The hen is just to young to

take care of babies. All died exept one, and the bigger chickens broke the chick's leg, and injured his wing. He is in a cardboard box in the house right now. He doesnt seem to be in pain supprisingly...he hops around using the one good leg, and his wings.

I tried to post pics, but I don't know if it worked, but incase it didn't work here are some details:

60753_sdc11177.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11190.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Yes, putting it down would be the most humane thing to do.
Even if you do manage to splint the leg, he might die anyway of the intense pain and shock, or just because he's too weak.
If you still want to go ahead and fix him up, first of all, where is his leg broken? If it is completely backwards from the hip, forget it, but if it's from the "knee" than you might be able to fix him.
As for his wing, it might be broken as well, or cracked.
Also, you said "they" broke his leg, injured his wing... who is they?
If they is the other grown chickens, it's really no surprise that the chicks were killed. It is not the young mom's fault, I'm sure she did her best trying to protect them from the rest, but she can only do so much. Always seperate hens with chicks from the rest of the flock at least until the chicks can take care of themselves a little.

Please try to post pics possible someone can help you ...
I would suggest next time to separate - I put mama and the babies in a separate kennel until babies are bigger and can get out of way - unfortunatley our feathered friends are very mean and nasty to weaklings ..
sorry for your chickie
hugs.gif

Please do the right thing if can't be fixed - I had to for 2 chickies it was hard but the best thing I could do for them again
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

yes the older chickens broke his leg. But the mom is not protecting him. I know its not her fault, shes just to young though. I guess we may have to put him down, as I do not know where it is broke. His leg is now turned back the right way, so what does that mean? we turned it back earlier (don't know if it was a very good idea to) and it stayed. His wing also looks better but like I said, I don't know exactly where to injuries are..He's such a pretty chick and in good health to, (other than the injuries)
hit.gif
can anyone tell me how to post pics? idk how to...

I had that happen once to a Jap Bantam
My sister felt so sorry for it she built a little sling from Popsicle sticks and old sheet
it had the chic sitting on the sling like a hammock with both feet on the ground, and then she fed and watered it regularly

A lot of time and effort, but that chic healed up and turned out to be a beautiful hen and lived a normal spoiled life

Here are instructions for posting photos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

There is some info that may be helpful on the webpage linked in my signature below.
In the section titled "Fix Slipped Achilles Tendon in Hock Joint," there is a link on making a cast from a drinking straw.
There is also other info on the page on caring for chicks with leg injuries in general.

If the chick is in a lot of pain, I would feel it best to cull, though. Injuries sound like they may be too much?? Do whatever you think will help the chick most.

Do you already know good ways to do cull if the pain is severe & likely to last a while & healing may be iffy? If useful, there is a good thread on ways to cull at:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352730

I don't know the best thing, of course, and feel for your loss of chicks and sadness about the one that's left.
hugs.gif

I don't cull chicks. I know that people may disagree with me but i don't cull because of pain especially. I treat the pain, symptoms, and IF the chick is meant to die it will. I am not God and I will not play God with even an animals life. My only exception would be with an advanced age animal with a terminal illness and then it would depend on several factors. I am a trained vet tech and was surprised that many of my instructors feel the same. Have you culled your chick? If not, where is the wing and leg broken? ?They can both be splinted and your chicks pain lessened.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom