Help Tiny Chick Broke His Leg!*PICS*UPDATE AND NOW HAS SPLAYED LEG!?!

Speakup4kids- no I have not culled him (And hope I don't have to) I see no broken part on the leg, so it must be the hip. I don't think the wing is broken. It just looks cut, and he is using it a little bit. how do I fix it? I don't wan't to do it wrong...

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged... my best rooster, Miracle, was stepped on as a 2 day old and his leg was totally backward... today he is Cock of the Walk, perfect! As you can guess by his name, lots of prayer was involved! GOD is good...! If he is eating and drinking then place his leg as it should be and let him rest... if he will lay still he will have a chance... crushed baby aspirin in his water might help also. Miracle stayed in a cat crate out by the pen so he was never without company. I will be praying for your baby.
Neosporin ointment (without the "...caine" pain reliever) for the cut.
dmb/mm

Last edited:
Meanwhile...another 18 hours has passed and this chick has not received treatment to relieve its pain and suffering. I understand that you are young Becca and this tragic experience with brooding chicks has been frightening and sad for you. Unfortunately, you're being forced to make some adult decisions right now. Please ask yourself one question: Who is hurting the most - you or the chick? Act accordingly.
hugs.gif

MotherJean,
The original poster stated that the chick is still eating and drinking normally which would not indicate extreme shock or extreme pain and suffering. From what I have read so far it appears as though this young lady is taking care of her chick the best she can and admonishing her for not doing something she is not comfortable with is not necessary. We all come here for support and hopefully help, not judgement.

To splint the leg- you are really better off here if you can tell where it's broken at... Is it broken? a tendon pulled? If you think that it may be towards the top of the leg but you aren't "totally" sure, a bent Q-tip may be your best bet, followed by spraddle leg treatment. Splint the leg with a q-tip bent to the natural shape of the leg. Then, you will want to get both of the chick's legs and take a 3/4 inch band-aid and tape the legs together, with the gauze between them. (they will not be totally together, the gauze in the bandaid acts as a spacer.) For pictures of what it should look like google spraddle leg treatment and you will see. The wing should be watched for infection and cleaned. aspirin is fine for pain.

I think I would try to splint first if the chick is eating and drinking - that is a good sign. i found a pidgeon that was hit by a car, had a broken leg and wing. Most probably would have killed it right then and there - but I brought it home - splinted it - and it healed completely. 8 weeks later it was relased back where I found it - walking and flying.

But it's going to have to be her decision - it's her chick.

Sorry if my last post sounded harsh. No one seems to bat an eye when a "vet tech" says that the chicks pain can be alleviated, but doesn't bother to say how to do that. How exactly is that bird eating and drinking when it's laid out on its side like the photo shows? Propping it up? Hand feeding? Every time that bird is handled, it's going to experience pain IMHO. You're right, of course, what the OP decides to do is strictly up to her and I don't fault her for wanting to save this chick's life. I do and will, however, continue to voice my opinion that allowing an animal to suffer by not receiving prompt treatment is wrong. The point I was so ineptly trying to get across was: treat the bird or cull it. Doing nothing is not an option. My opinion. You're welcome to yours.

Last edited:
"The original poster stated that the chick is still eating and drinking normally which would not indicate extreme shock or extreme pain and suffering. From what I have read so far it appears as though this young lady is taking care of her chick the best she can and admonishing her for not doing something she is not comfortable with is not necessary. We all come here for support and hopefully help, not judgement."

Culling/killing is not always the first option if bird is eating and drinking.
Good luck and do your best... still praying.

ps: ALL I did for Miracle was to feed, water and let him rest... oh, and PRAY. Wish I had a camera so I could show you this beautiful 3 year old Roo!

Last edited:
I say DO NOT give up on this chick because I've had animals live through horrible experiences! Take my cat as an example....
When he was a kitten someone sat on him and his rib cage was almost broken, then when he was about a year or two he got attacked by a coyote and lived (his eyes were out of the socket and his stomach was bit so that the skin was practicaly hanging off)!! But today he is as healthy as a 15 year old cat gets!! I've also had chickens get attacked by dogs and live so I recommend you hold off putting that chick down until you are sure you can't do anything for it. As of now I would maybe narrow the chick's space down so it can't move much to reinjure it's leg or wing.

Best of luck!

-Teresa

P.S. sometimes the best thing to do is pray, pray, PRAY

Last edited:
Hi to all, today he is standing, has a huge appetite, and drinking aswell. Ofcoarse he is holding his broken/injured foot up, and just hoping around on the well one, but compared to yesterday, he has made a HUGE improvment. In a little bit we are going to go get him some medicine.
big_smile.png
here are some pics of him today (sorry they're a little blurry):

60753_sdc11197.jpg
[/img]
60753_sdc11198.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom