Help Tiny Chick Broke His Leg!*PICS*UPDATE AND NOW HAS SPLAYED LEG!?!

I've got a chick that looks very simular to yours now. She too has a broken leg, but it isn't apparent exactly where. She holds it up like yours. She hops around on that one leg and balances herself using her wings. I won't cull, but prefer to treat and hopefully she will make it in the flock. I do however plan on getting another chick to keep her company. Better for her and better for me too. Best of luck
Jan

This is how Miracle looked also... a few days later I thought I saw him stretching it... a few days later I saw him put the foot down... a few days later he put weight on it... a week later he was back with his mom and brother during the daylight hours, limping along... a month later no limp, back with the flock full time... 3 years later he is the KING!
Keep up the good work... he will be a special bird!

Becca,
What kind of medicine are you planning to give the chick? Because it is so young splinting that leg really is the best course of action for a full recovery. It is absolutely amazing how quickly chicks will heal. A couple of days splinted while on vitamins could do the trick. From the angle Isaw and the way the chick seemed to be holding his leg I would guess it is a lower leg injury of some sort, or a pulled tendon higher up but not a broken hip. It doesn't seem to be acting hurt enough for that serious of an injury. Does he have any leg control or is it floppy like the bone is completely seperated?

MotherJean, I did not mean to call you out or be rude to you, nor did I intend to say don't cull the chick and not offer advice on how to help it. I merely wanted to ensure that this young girl hadn't already culled the chick before going into treatment detail as I thought it might make her feel worse if that was the case. We are all on the same side here and all want healthy happy chicks in the end.
wee.gif

Thankyou all so much for the help. Speakup4kids- The whole leg is floppy, but it doesnt seem to hurt him when I touch it. he hops around on 1 foot now, and is eating/drinking normally. We were going to go get him baby asprin to crush up in his water, as another person on here said that may help. What kind of vitamens should I give him? I'll post more pics soon!!
big_smile.png

What type of food are you feeding this Chick? In one of the pictures posted it appears you are feeding this chick scratch/cracked corn. Baby Chicks need crumbled medicated chicks starter. You will kill this chick with improper feed and no grit available. Please splint his leg, feed him properly and make sure he is not too cold of in a draft. If not he will surely die.

i would also spilt the leg people use a ice cream stick cut to size then wrap it up. I don't get why people say put it down specially when its still eating and drinking.

Question for those people who say put it down. Would you put a dog or cat down if it had a broken leg? surely a dog would feel pain and been in shock too. I don't get how people can say dogs are different to chickens dogs feel pain and shock too.

i know how you feel about the chick. i just resently lost one of my NHR. i got her on 4-2-10 and she died last week. she had a sliped hock that just would not stay in place even with spliting. so i prayed and prayed . and left in gods hands. and remember culling dosent nesarly mean killing the little guy. you and your chickie will be in my prayers.
ps dont forget to keep us all updated. and good luck

One of my chicks hurt its leg VERY badly. It got stomped on, and the poor thing was smushed. The leg was black, blue, and crooked. Im sure it was broken or close to broken. I posted my problem on here and someone replied and told me to get some "Poly-Visol" Vitiman drops. Just give about 3 drops directly to the chick every 24 hours. You can get them at Walmart, Walgreens etc. About 3 days later the chick was running around everywhere and ready to go back outside. Today the chick is growing and doing as good as if it was never hurt.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom