Help to identify foot problems

mikecu

Hatching
Dec 1, 2018
ECAA1E56-00BE-478D-8277-00980D29F6E0.jpeg
Hi All, I just bought some point of lay Leghorns and it seems like they have foot problems. Please can someone help identify the problem, or is this normal? I’m new to this. Thanks Mike

Thanks very much Cragg, we bought them from a reputable breeder as point of lay. No I don’t know how to do a physical exam but will do some research. We have only had them for 2 days so will return them to the breeder. Thanks for your help. Cheers Mike

Hello mikecu.
Welcome to BYC.

Whoever let you have those chickens is not a reputable breeder in any sense of the word I understand.
Apart from the toenails which should get worn down if the chickens are kept in reasonable conditions the chicken in the picture has scaly leg mite.
You can treat scaly leg mite with Vasaline (Petroleom Jelly) and I mix the Vasaline with Betadine (Vas 75% Bet 25%) the Betadine helps disinfect and is anti fungal.
Smother the legs and feet in this mixture for three nights; easiest to do after the chickens have roosted, and repeat again after two weeks.
Given the conditon of the feet, I would check the chicken for mites and lice.

Totally agree with the other posters' comments. The only thing I would add is that I have never seen a point of lay bird with such long toe nails and scaly leg mite problem and unless conditions are really exceptionally bad, I would be confident of saying that is an older bird and not a "point of lay" pullet. I am pretty sure a pullet's toe nails could not grow as long as that even without considering the scaly leg mite problem. I'm pretty certain you have been sold an older bird and from the colour of the legs, it is not a Leghorn..... Can you post photos of the others?

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate the advice. Will take photos of the others and post them in the morning. Cheers Mike

I have never seen scaly leg mites in a pullet in her first year of laying, and agree with @rebrascora that these may not be young birds.

Castor oil, crisco shortening, petroleum jelly, and coconut oil are all good thick oils that can be applied once a week and rubbed up under the raised scales to smother the mites and help new scales grow in. Before that I would do an initial warm soak indoors of either soapy water with Dawn or Epsom salts water and very gently brush the scales with an old toothbrush to lossen scales, then dry well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom