help to identify mystery chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RobinEgg, Apr 7, 2008.

1. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is our free exotic from MM.....any ideas.....I've looked at their online site (darn can't find my catalog)
    so not any ideas yet. It's a nice size chick actually bigger than the barred rocks...no feathers on legs

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    That is a Cutie Butt Cute Chick..very rare! [​IMG]

I don't know the breed but goodness that is a beauty!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know, I have a couple that look like that from eggs that were given to me last month. I hope someone id's it for us!

4. FourIsWaltz

FourIsWaltz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2008
    McMurray must have been pulling from the same vat this weekend. I have a free rare chick that looks just like that one. Still no clue what it is, either.

(I'll put up a few pics of mine later. Perhaps we can find someone who can figure it out.)

5. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    I wish they'd have pulled mine from there - I got a not so exotic EE rooster. Actually not really disappointed as I have 6 EE hens, so I'll have some EE babies next year.

6. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    lol, I ordered EE, I just love those little striped ones. So this is another clue I need to look at all of their chicks not just the rare breeds....mmm..I did think they would be rare,lol.

7. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    ok is it a silver leghorn?

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Looks like an EE to me. Will likely feather in black/white and have nice muffs.

Jody

9. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I think I can see it's leg in the second pic and it looks yellow. EEs will have greenish legs.

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    This is what my free chick looks like, and it's not an EE--we ordered 5 EEs and actually got 6--and this little chicky is a different shape, with different feathering around the head and a different texture to the down than the rest of our order.

I noticed that MM puts EEs in with the rare/unusual bird selection, so I guess they count EEs as rare?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by