Help to sex 8 week old Barred Rock chicks please- newbie here

Not so easy to sex compare to the ones I've had. The hens were really dark and the rooster considerably whiter. I would still go with rooster on this one...if he keeps getting whiter, then you'll know he's a rooster for sure.
I'm liking the barred on this one, he's got some nice lines, should be a nice looking fella!
Look at what mine looked like at that age...the jumping one - rooster, the darker ones not jumping hens...see how easy it was for me!!
smile.png

I'm glad the spot thing worked for you...didn't for me! Neither did the leg wash, or the "males have lighter fuzz". Every chick but 1 had dark leg wash...every chick but 1 had dark feathers...and the spots? Varied. Here's pics of my 6 at a day old...the first was the KNOWN cockerel...the rest were supposed to be pullets...I ended up with 4 cockerels and 2 pullets. Just want to show you how the normal tips and tricks didn't work in my case.

Zeus...he was the known cockerel...no leg wash, light fuzz, "blotch" for a spot:

Boring Girl, dark leg wash, blotch for a spot, dark fuzz (pullet):

Athena...blotchy spot, dark fuzz, dark leg wash (pullet):

Pixie...dark leg wash, dark fuzz, more defined spot with a black dot in the middle (COCKEREL):

Boring Boy...dark leg wash, dark fuzz, defined spot but other yellow on head (COCKEREL):

Brave Boy...dark leg wash, dark fuzz, defined spot with other yellow on head (COCKEREL):

Here they are at 3 weeks. I started to have my suspicions then that I had more than one cockerel. You can see the combs of the males are more pronounced than the girls:

Zeus

Athena

Boring Boy (Look a this leg wash...still very dark)

Pixie (dark leg wash starting to fade)

Brave Boy (still dark leg wash)

Boring Girl:

And at 7 1/2 weeks there was no doubt whatsoever that I had 4 cockerels and 2 pullets:

Zeus

Pixie

Boring Boy

Brave boy

Athena

Boring Girl

Do I have 3 roos and 1 pullet? Oddly enough this one with the smallest comb is the largest, has new fuzzy neck feathers coming in. The first week, using the head spot and color of legs to sex, it appeared I have 3 roos and 1 pullet.

Help please!

The one with the reddest comb and wattles. This small barred rock has tail feathers that point straight up. I believe it is a small roo?
3EB7C91E-9821-40CC-B7BD-568E6336A322.jpeg
Can you tell this one ?

I would like to see a photo of the one on the bottom left...
How I tell them apart is comb and feathering. I find the grey feet are not always a tell all. With a black sex link yes (dark beak, dark legs, dark everything).
So I just use the stuff that more accurate like the comb, and the colour of the feathers.At that age the combs start growing in and turning red, that's a sign of cockerel. Also these will have whiter feathers...so don't look at the quantity of white but quality. The pullets' white will be more greyish white...hence they look darker.
So 2 roos, and 1 hen...and the other I can't tell from the picture.

Back
Top Bottom