Help! Unhappy ducks???

arup

In the Brooder
May 21, 2015
Hello.

My 2 buff ophington females are going crazy. I have 1 mallard and my 2 females. They use to come up to me, peck on me, follow me, take food from me and not they are like terrified of me. We recently upgraded the coop and added chickens, which everyone gets along now, but they still hate me. The run from me the minute I step food inside the coop.

Also, the continuously quack.... very loud at like 4 am!! Why are they doing this and can I do anything to make this better or make them happy and Quiet again??? I've tried sitting with them and petting them and nothing. I'm lost!

Last edited:
How old are they? Frequently ducklings go through a goofy stage as they become teenagers. It's best to ignore their antics and not force yourself on them by catching and petting. Feed is generally the great equalizer. A hungry bird is a friendly bird.

Birds tend to dislike change, and the coop renovation and addition of chickens may have set them off. Try tempting them with their favorite treats.

@sourland Coop upgrade and chickens have been there for 2 months... I thought they would've adjusted by now. They get treats and yard time along with their personal pool now.... haha spoiled and still not good enough :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, you may like the Coop upgrade but the Ducks seem to have other ideas........They possibly do not like sharing space with the Chickens.....They sound a bit stressed.....You may have to set up a pen just for the Ducks?

Cheers!
you have a great point. I know my ducks don't like the chickens around them. My hen will get after the chickens and pull there tail feathers out. I the the chickens aggravate them. They remind me of a bunch of kids, lol.

My chickens and ducks don't get along either, my oldest hen always attacks the ducks. For no apparent reason too, maybe try and separate them for awhile. Also I'd make sure no predators are coming around at night that could possibly be scaring them. Good luck
wink.png
!

Back
Top Bottom