Help! Unhappy ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arup, Nov 28, 2016.

1. arup

arup Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2015
    Hello.

My 2 buff ophington females are going crazy. I have 1 mallard and my 2 females. They use to come up to me, peck on me, follow me, take food from me and not they are like terrified of me. We recently upgraded the coop and added chickens, which everyone gets along now, but they still hate me. The run from me the minute I step food inside the coop.

Also, the continuously quack.... very loud at like 4 am!! Why are they doing this and can I do anything to make this better or make them happy and Quiet again??? I've tried sitting with them and petting them and nothing. I'm lost!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How old are they? Frequently ducklings go through a goofy stage as they become teenagers. It's best to ignore their antics and not force yourself on them by catching and petting. Feed is generally the great equalizer. A hungry bird is a friendly bird.

1 person likes this.
  3. arup

arup Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2015
    @sourland they are 1 1/2 years old.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Birds tend to dislike change, and the coop renovation and addition of chickens may have set them off. Try tempting them with their favorite treats.

1 person likes this.
  5. arup

arup Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2015
    @sourland Coop upgrade and chickens have been there for 2 months... I thought they would've adjusted by now. They get treats and yard time along with their personal pool now.... haha spoiled and still not good enough :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Well, you may like the Coop upgrade but the Ducks seem to have other ideas........They possibly do not like sharing space with the Chickens.....They sound a bit stressed.....You may have to set up a pen just for the Ducks?

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  7. mysti30

mysti30 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2016
    you have a great point. I know my ducks don't like the chickens around them. My hen will get after the chickens and pull there tail feathers out. I the the chickens aggravate them. They remind me of a bunch of kids, lol.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

9. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    My chickens and ducks don't get along either, my oldest hen always attacks the ducks. For no apparent reason too, maybe try and separate them for awhile. Also I'd make sure no predators are coming around at night that could possibly be scaring them. Good luck [​IMG]!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by