Help!!! Very sick rooster!

CardinalRidge

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Richfield, NC
I am in a panic. My beautiful speckled Sussex rooster who is with my laying hens is very sick. He, and a couple of others, were sneezing yesterday and I put them all on tetracycline, as suggested by the woman I got the entire flock from. Well, this morning he did not come out of the coop and when I went in, he fell over and was flipping around like a fish out of water. I picked him up and put him in a crate in the feed room with food and water. When I left he was standing up again, and seemed steadier, but it's not good. I am trying to find a poultry vet in the Albemarle, NC area, but am having no luck. Ugh. Any ideas?

Is his head tucked under his legs in a weird way? If it is it could be wry neck?? Just a thought... Good luck!

I think it is respiratory. We gave him 1cc Tylan and 1cc Vitamin B injections and put him on high protein - scrambled eggs and mealworms and electrolyte/vitamins in his water. He already seems more stable. We are going to do the Tylan injections twice a day and 1/2cc Vit B injections once a day for three days and see how he does. I have everyone else across the street on tetracycline in the water. Crossing fingers and saying a prayer. This is the second round of respiratory issues I have had this year. Someone told me it is the drastic weather changes we have had lately, but I'm not sure that is correct. Anyone else having more than their share of respiratory issues in their flocks lately?

Back
Top Bottom