HELP! Village board making us get rid of our chickens!

hoeftam

Songster
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
Wisconsin
We just received a notice in the mail that we have one week to get rid of our chickens. We have had them for 2 years with no complaints. We are devastated. We don't know what to do. We thought chickens were allowed in our neighborhood. They are allowed in all surrounding neighborhoods. All of our neighbors love our chickens. What do we do? Is there anything we can do?

Attachments

• Picture_20190816_193346959.jpg
    Picture_20190816_193346959.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 44
Probably nothing in the immediate time. Only solution, is to vote out the dictators running your town. That is not an easy task, since they already have superior control over the small population in your town. Most likely, all the city employees including the law enforcement are one happy group. Enjoying good wages and benefits as well.
Very often, I read of one thing or another that authorities are taking away from the citizens. I don't know what the future holds.:idunno
I suggest you find a home for your flock of chickens in the communities that allow them. Then try to gather the people affected, and voice your opinions at a city council meeting. If there are many there, then there is a chance something may change. With few people there, they will just dismiss issue.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

I did find this information out. I think the issue was our two roosters that weren't supposed to be roosters. One was rehomed already and one is set to go to his new home this week.

Attachments

• Picture_20190817_065512575.jpg
    Picture_20190817_065512575.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 37
I did find this information out. I think the issue was our two roosters that weren't supposed to be roosters. One was rehomed already and one is set to go to his new home this week.

What is the effective date of that section? And did you get your poultry prior to that date? You could be grandfathered in. But, if your poultry keeping started after that date, then you are in violation.

However, seems like if your neighbors find them to be a nuisance, then that will impact your ability to keep them anyway.

Good luck.

You might be able to ‘board’ them somewhere like with a friend who isn’t affected by this instead of having to completely give them away because I know that would be heartbreaking. I hope this gets resolved soon. I wish you the best of luck!

Yeaa you may be able the be grandfathered in according to the date it became established..

Until then, ask around to any friends outside your village to see if they will board them. That way you are not having to suffer the complete loss of your beloved poultry.

Back
Top Bottom