Help wanted - Quail missing leg!!

Pics
:hugs :hugs

Yes, and he wasn’t even the slightest bit happy, so I think we’ve made the right choice.

I'm so very sorry he went downhill. :hit Had he kept on doing well, he could likely have adapted to life on one leg. :hugs Animals adapt to the loss of a limb (or multiple limbs) all the time. But it's likely he was developing an infection, if he was going downhill fast. That was the biggest danger, the entire time. It's possible the germs that overwhelmed him were already inside the wound before you ever found him to start treating him, so there was really nothing you could have done to help him, since there was no way to get medications into him before it was too late. I'm terribly sorry for your loss! :hit I know how much you wanted to prevent it leading to his culling. Just know that you did everything correct that you could do at the time. :hugs

Perhaps now is a good time to start building a critter first aid kit, so you might be able to save the next one! I always suggest anyone who has critters should have a first aid kit for them, for the just-in-case emergency. You can stock it with everything from iodine to antibiotics (any that don't need refrigeration) to even sutures, if you're willing to try to learn how to suture a wound. There are teaching kits you can get to practice suturing (generally with outdated sutures that supposedly aren't any good for actual use). There are even excellent directions on how to do suturing online, so all you'd need is a chunk of meat and some practice time - perhaps find a roast or steak in the markdown bin and practice on that, so you're not spending crazy amounts of money, yet you can practice on actual meat. On top of that, you can purchase outdated sutures that "aren't for use" yet are still sterile, and they could be used for an emergency for a bird, if need be.

Have bandages in your kit. Have sterile saline wash spray, too. Order good antibiotics through one of the fish antibiotic sites, even, so you can have those available, as well. Syringes and needles, too, to be safe. Not just syringes with permanently attached needles, though - sometimes you need just a syringe! Add a styptic pencil or styptic powder, to help stop bleeding. Add coban or coflex or another brand of stretch bandage that sticks to itself. Add telfa type wound covering pads; the kind that won't stick to a wound.

Anything and everything you might need, and more, can be tucked into a (fishing) tackle box or tool box, and kept tucked into a closet or under a sink; somewhere safe where you can pull it out and be ready for anything. I, myself have a much bigger one, as I am set up to do my own fecal worm checks, too, among other things that people usually can't or won't or are unable to do themselves, but you set up your first aid kit for how YOU decide you want to do things. And you can do it in his memory, as a memorial for him. :) :hugs

But first next step is to redo that quail cage to keep them out of reach of the predatory critters (pet-type or not) after a quick snack! :old:smack

Attachments

• Suturing Techniques images.png
    Suturing Techniques images.png
    306 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom