HELP weird bursing or something on newly hatching chicks????

Diamond Peno

Songster
Mar 27, 2015
Sinnamahoning PA
I had 3 chicks hatch out one did not make it. It was at 22 days and still has a little bit of and egg yoke. The other 2 that hatched still alive are right on time. 2 of the eggs were smallish. NOT fairy size more like large batman size BUT they were not bantams as they came from regular chicken unless fairy eggs can be bigger then tiny to.
Well all 3 had this black like bruising around the belly/butt. could it have been from them rolling around and flipping them selves to get out or are the sick/have and infection? if so what should i do? if there anything I can do to save them? OR is this normal and i am just over reacting?
1st few with yoke is of the one that past.
they are moving around and acting normal like the other chicks I have had hatch out. they are still drying off. they move a little make noise then rest a bit, and so on. so should I am worrying over nothing or ???

Attachments

• IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    526.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    460 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 12
It doesn't look like a problem to me, just keep an eye on them. Sorry about your loss of one of them.

SO its just normal then? an just over worrying feather mama? lol I have lost not a lot but more then i would like to have being a 1st time hatcher. and I read up on HOW to do it all properly. BUT I have had some 1st hatcher and long time hatcher's tell me its JUST not their year this year and weather can be a part of it even though incubators are inside house/shed. BUT I have has more survive then pass or not hatch. some were just not fertile so don't know if I can count them lol.
I will be keep and eye on them. I am use to feeding rescue bird and baby bunnies and getting up every 2/4 hrs for feedings even puppies/kittens. to baby mice/rats. I am gonna set my clock for an hr and recheck on them again see how they are. thank you. I will keep you posted of any changes. just looked weird to me as the others did not have that dark color or the lighter ones did not that I could remember.

I would look at possible infection as a cause—omphalitis or mushy chick disease, which can happen if incubators or hatching baskets are not disinfected well. I am not an expert on how it looks, so here are 2 good articles to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

https://www.pasreform.com/en/knowledge/57/preventing-omphalitis-to-reduce-first-week-mortality

they are still alive. have not gotten up or around yet. BUT I have had some lazy chicks before.
I have animal iodine would that work? do I use it straight or need to water it down a bit? before I just used human on my ducks/chicks with infected belly buttons but this is a little different. an if this is what it is. BUT the busing dont seem to look as bad today....I have acv or that save a chick stuff for hydration in their water I make sure they have one or the other in their water 1st thing and on medicated food for a while to start them off.

incubators are clean I even clean or semi clean the eggs off just encase as I have read up on how to clean your eggs or sanitize them before putting them into the incubator. they are not directly from my flock but the neighbors the last batch some hatched some did not. and there was not a problem... the little roo passed the hen who small is up and about. her legs are splayed BUT when I tried to brace them like others she would not move to eat/drink like she was. as she will tumble around to do so. she just sits there and screams. BUT she will put them under her herself and try but it don't always work. I have had others and my vet tell me to leave her unbraced for a while since she is getting to water/feed on her own till infection is clean and she is stronger. could be she is to week to do the brace right now. I call her tumble weed. lol BUT she is a little fighter. the bruising is almost gone. I used the stuff I was suppose to on the other chick watered down as its for cattle and pigs an the vet told me to BUT the roo must have been allergic to it as he got all red and blistered which to me and the vet would be allergic. so I washed it off and used bag balm.... but he was to week to start with.
If both incubators are full and I have a bad egg cracked or explode I take them all out put them in a tote under a heat lamp quickly clean and put back. ( I dont lose the heat of the eggs as I put the thermometer in with them) and I looked up what if you have to clean and incubator when you have a bad egg that explodes... If I only have a few in each one i just switch them over to the other clean that one an set it back up so it ready to hatch out more. EVEN though I clean mine not saying something could not have gotten in or came from the neighbors. Mine could do the same thing sometime.
I thank you for all your info and am treating as mushy chick for now and all seems to be going well.

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 7
Sorry about losing your little cockerel. I would try to put the chick’s legs together about 1 1/4 inch apart with vet wrap or a bandaid. They are very awkward at first, but if you hold her and get her drinking and eating some she may get the hang of it. If splay legs are not treated in the first few days, it can be permanent. You might even try her in a chick chair with feet touching the floor, and keep food and water in front of her. Some use cups to stand them in, but the leg hobble should be on either way. Vitamins are very important as well with foot and leg issue, plus a non-slip flooring, such as pine shavings. Good luck with her, and here is a good link about splay leg treatment:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

upload_2018-7-31_20-10-52.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-31_20-8-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-31_20-8-50.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 6
Sorry about losing your little cockerel. I would try to put the chick’s legs together about 1 1/4 inch apart with vet wrap or a bandaid. They are very awkward at first, but if you hold her and get her drinking and eating some she may get the hang of it. If splay legs are not treated in the first few days, it can be permanent. You might even try her in a chick chair with feet touching the floor, and keep food and water in front of her. Some use cups to stand them in, but the leg hobble should be on either way. Vitamins are very important as well with foot and leg issue, plus a non-slip flooring, such as pine shavings. Good luck with her, and here is a good link about splay leg treatment:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

View attachment 1488857

Never thought of a chick chair. BUT there are days I am not home ALL day an am out and can't take her whit me so I would have to figuer out HOW to giver her more food water in bigger dishes.
I have seen chicks an ducks with very BAD legs that people have dropped off to me and I have semi fixed them when they were older. its harder and takes longer but can be done just takes for ever. My one duck we tried everything for him but nothing worked except to break his leg and that may not fully work... BUT as the vet say he can get around to eat/drink just leave him for now. the vet and i know she needs something for splayed legs but she just got up yesterday to more-less eat/drink. I was told some chicks can take that 24 to 48 hrs to want to eat/drink some times as long as 72 if they have a little yoke still.... some of my chicks have been lazy an just sleep and sleep and dont get up eat/drink for a good day. and some seem to have splayed legs at 1st but by the next day or 2 with out wraps its like hey they figured it out. others you can tell like her but she will put them under her and start to go then they come out.

OK so the little one is doing great. she seemed to be a lot stronger the next day as we put Niacin (vit b 3) in her water along with the Apple Cider Vinegar and the chick electrolyte. SO I took a band-aid and cute it long ways up the middle as she is bantam size (came from a reg egg only bantam like NOT quite fairy size but large bantam size but not full regular egg size) she don't like and WILL NOT SHUT UP at all now unless she is sleeping/drinking or eating. I still keep her belly cleaned and all seems to being doing good. she still stumbles around but at least she can walk better and be UP and not flopping around.

Back
Top Bottom