Help! What breed should I get?

CrazyChookz

Songster
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Chasing Chooks
Hi guys.

I recently built a new coop, which meant we could welcome about 3 more chickens to the coop. What are some breed suggestions? I have been looking at araucana, the blue egg layer. I would like to get a friendly chook that lays lots of eggs. I might also be considering a rooster to control by bossy hen.

Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png

I love EE"s and ameracaunas. Both are friendly and take charge in my experience. Any of the plymouth rock group are great friendly birds with a large and in charge attitude. Out of my flock the bantams have everyone in check lol especially my sebrite.

well, there are some factors when considering breeds one beeing space....I dont know what you have already, but rhode island reds are excellent egg layers, and the roosters tend to dominate in an aggresive fashion. Araucanas are pretty nice also.....
I have three barred rocks and think theyre great. lay well, and rule my flock

I really like my EEs (they, like ameraucanas and araucanas lay blue and/or green eggs, and are extremely similar the ameraucanas, just easier to find, around here at least).

I also like:

(Standard):
Sussex
Naked Necks
Plymouth Rocks
Orpingtons
Jersey Giants
Faverolles
Cochin (standard and bantams)
Brahmas

(Bantam)
D'Uccle and booted bantam
D'Anver (mine is a GREAT layer)

I know it's hard to choose though!

Best of Luck~Ms.B. :)

Thanks guys
looking for some day old chicks online right now...
Seems there arent many breeders in VIC where I live-just commercial ones where u have to buy 100 chickens
hmm.png

Where abouts in Vic are you? (I'm also in Vic).
I really like our Araucana!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom