Help what did I do wrong??!

Danisclan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Small town in New Mexico
I recieved my first 9 keets on Friday I have gotten the right food and think i have done everything right. They have been happy healthy looking and doing good. Last night I found a dead baby! They were all active none acted off. Now #2 dead baby! My heart cant take anymore! The friend who knows all about chickens said it could ofrom having a crusty butt. I did not look at first baby butt. Burried it.. But this second one I noticed had a crusty butt! Is that it? All other butts are fine. Please let me know if that was it. I couldnt bear to loose anymore!

Pasty butt blocks them from being able to poop, and waste toxins can/will quickly build up in their bodies to levels and make them sick and die... so yah, keep an eye on their lil behinds.

I was so worried about 'pasty butt' that I checked them every single time I picked them up. Poor things are about 7weeks old now and everytime I pick them up, they turn around and poke thier hinnies at me.
gig.gif

Not a great trick... and one I'm probably going to regret .. but funny anyway.

I'm sorry that you lost some of your babies
hugs.gif

I am devastated that I lost 2, but am thankful that pasty butt was t
he probl em and not an illness that they all are going to get. I have been trying so hard not pick them up so much but now im going be looking at keet and chick butts constantly! Just like the above pic. Little butts are going to be in my dreams! Well I could see a down fall to that trick! Lol Thank you guys!

Well I havent lost anymore. They seem to be doing real good. I am constantly checking the rears, I heard that the temp could be a possibility. I just found out that the feed store closest to me, an hour and a half. Has lavender and white keets right now. I need to make the trip before they are all gone!

Back
Top Bottom