Help! What has my chicken laid!?

kayleeer

Hatching
Sep 8, 2016
Hi guys! New around here so unsure if I'm posting in the right section?! But this morning I went down to collect our eggs and to my surprise someone has laid something! I've pulled it apart and discovered what I think is a soft shell, a membrane and a blood clot about the size of a thumb nail with blood and Mucas around it! I'm stumped? Have no idea what it could be and am slightly concerned for one of my 11 chickens! I then have the trouble of finding which ones done it? Help!

From a concerned chicken Mumma!

Tissue can get dislodged and the body passes it as a egg. However the blood clot has me more than concerned. I had a girl do this and she would lay soft stringy shells, tissue, and spots of blood. Turns out she was a internal layer. I very seldom got a whole egg from her and bless her heart, in the end thats what took her. Im not sure there is much you can do if this is the case. But dont worry yet because sometimes their bodies make a boo boo egg and it can look strange. Keep a eye on her and if you get normal eggs here after i wouldnt worry.

Thank you! I feel like it may be a one off as this hasn't happened before - I have a whole array of chickens 5 chicks that aren't yet laying and 6 that are I have a feeling this has come from my leghorn who has just recently started laying again she doesn't product eggs daily but maybe every 3 days! I'll keep a close eye on them and hope it won't happen again! I couldn't part with one of my babes! Especially my big white girl if it is her :( hope she's not sick! Ahh!

Oh Yikes!
Agrees with realsis, that clot doesn't look good, never seen this before.
Could very well be the leghorn, reproductive problems can be more common in high production birds.
Sorry for your troubles, not a fun start to chickeneering. :( Welcome to BYC anyway.

And she's quite a old girl too! I'm going to get them wormed today! And anything else I can think of to sort them out! I'm hoping it was just a one off! My poor girl! Fingers crossed that today she's laid a normal eggy!

Thank you! I feel like it may be a one off as this hasn't happened before - I have a whole array of chickens 5 chicks that aren't yet laying and 6 that are I have a feeling this has come from my leghorn who has just recently started laying again she doesn't product eggs daily but maybe every 3 days! I'll keep a close eye on them and hope it won't happen again! I couldn't part with one of my babes! Especially my big white girl if it is her
sad.png
hope she's not sick! Ahh!

And she's quite a old girl too! I'm going to get them wormed today! And anything else I can think of to sort them out! I'm hoping it was just a one off! My poor girl! Fingers crossed that today she's laid a normal eggy!
I thought she just started laying?...oh laying again.... did she just molt?
I doubt it has anything to do with worms.
Have you checked her over for external parasites...check her vent and belly for abnormalities too.

Last edited:
We got her from a neighbour and she had stopped laying over winter - we have had her for about a month now and she has just come into lay again! No molting at our end but could have at the neighbours - were off to farmlands today I haven't wormed them so want to sort that as well as anything else that could be the issue! ;) I'll check her over throughly too! If I can catch the rascal! Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom