Help! what is wrong with this chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hobbyfarmrookie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I can not figure out what has happened to this chick. It is about a month old and the vent area looks aweful, highly swollen and inflamed. I think it may have been stepped on by a person but that is just an opinion, no one remembers doing it but I have stepped on one before and did not realize it until it was too late.
    If you know something I can try to help her out please let me know. She has been seperated into a small cage just in case she dies no one will mess with her.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Looks like they started pecking her and didn't stop.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Isolation is the right thing to do. The other chickens will peck at that wound if you don't protect her.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    likely one of the other chicken(s) did this- classic cannibal chicken look. causes usually are one or a combination of 1) bad nutrition 2) overcrowding/stess 3) boredom. Lice can also contribute by irritating the area. What do you feed? What kinds of chickens are in there? How big is the area they are kept? Lice? What do they have to do in their pen?

And as the other posted said, you need to get her out of there, the cannibal chicken will continue pecking and will kill the wounded bird. watch the group until you see who the perp is. the perp will likely have a bloody head/beak.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  5. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I had a chick with a poopy but that got raw, I put neosporin on it untill the red went away.

6. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone, she is still alive and I will be keeping her isolated. I will try the neosporin and also keep an eye out on who could be picking on her. There is a little overcrouding because I ordered new chick but I do believe I am going to cull a few.

Thanks Agsin Everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by