Help, will these boys ever get along (small flock)?

The reason they are fighting is Hormones.....Both young Drakes.....You have Hens so they both possibly like the same hen...?

You keep separating them and then putting them together...That only causes confusion in the flock.....He becomes pushy and the other gets aggressive.....They both like the Hens......My Ducks are breeding and laying eggs here like wildfire and have been since before Christmas....I have two Drakes...They figured it out and chose their own Hens and again their is harmony in my flock......

Cheers!

I am sure your right but how do I keep them together when one is injured? Salsa eye got worse and became foamy. I have them separated so it can heal. They do each have a girl they like but Salsa's girl really likes Cheeze and runs to him if she gets a chance. I think she is the cause of the fights. Oh, the drama!

Quote: Yep...Young Duck love....lol........Silly Birds......

If you see who they like,put them in a different pen even a makeshift thing for a couple of days, I think 5 days will work...Try that.....?

Cheers!
Also, do not try to pick their hens......Unless this is for breeding true stock? allow them to decide who is the right match.....Less Drama......Ducks are like feathered Puppies....Yikes........

Cheers!

I would personally try to rehome one of the drakes, since Salsa is already injured..... Duck keeping should be fun and enjoyable- not causing you worry about the drakes fighting whilst you're at work. Try posting on the rehoming section on BYC or advertise on Craigslist (but state that it is for a pet home only).

Good luck.

I would personally try to rehome one of the drakes, since Salsa is already injured..... Duck keeping should be fun and enjoyable- not causing you worry about the drakes fighting whilst you're at work. Try posting on the rehoming section on BYC or advertise on Craigslist (but state that it is for a pet home only).

Good luck.
goodpost.gif
That's a hard thing to do, but I have found it is worth it. When you remove the mean fighting birds, you actually enjoy your flock more than you miss the absent duck.
hugs.gif

I let Cheeze keep his girl (Kwackers) with him all week but it was hard to keep food out for them because the dog kept eating it (college son was home). On Thursday, I wedged the gate so it was only cracked open, so they could stick their heads in and get food but the dog's head wouldn't fit. I came home from work to find all five ducks in the yard together, I guess the crack was too big. Anyway, they have been together since then and Cheeze is clearly the boss. He isn't hurting Salsa but he chases him away whenever he gets a chance. Salsa's girl (Chip) stays with him on the other side of the pen in the second pool. Dip, the hen Salsa used to follow, still runs between the two pairs. There is peace but I think it is temporary. It is also really cold (teens F at night) and they seem to do better when it is cold. I agree that I won't have real peace until one of the drakes has a new home. Now I just need to find the right place for one of them.
1f61e.png

Thanks for all your opinions, help, and kindness!

Knock, knock . . . my ducks got tired of waiting for me to bring them treats.
0.jpg

Salsa is the drake in the back, Cheeze in the front. Any suggestions which drake I should rehome?

Back
Top Bottom