Help with 5 day old chick

Rosemarycrows

Hatching
Apr 24, 2021
I'm new to raising chicks myself this year and currently have a flock of 6 that are around 5 days old, however one has taken a turn for the worse in the past 6 hours or so

I had seen her eat and drink (water treated with Sav-a-Chick, she was pecking at the dry chick starter as well as the mash I had put out just to be sure they were eating), but now she's extremely tired, only standing with her eyes still closed for short periods of time before laying back down, and breathing heavy. I have managed to get her to drink some water (again, treated with Sav-a-Chick), but she won't take to food I try to give/put in front of her (I don't have a syringe on hand to try feeding her that way and no stores that would have them near me are open at this point in the day)
As for brooder heat I use a radiant heat plate which she has spent most of her time under as she started to get more lethargic, and the other chicks seem to be doing fine, not panting or anything like that, walking out and under the plate as they need to. No signs of pasty butt either.

Is there anything I can do for this chick? I'm no stranger to chicks passing due to failure to thrive as I've helped on a farm that gets chicks each year for a while now, but this just felt so sudden when she seemed to be doing so well, she's such a sweet chick too. I had another chick who passed earlier on after acting in a similar way but I assumed that to be from shipping stress (we had some chicks who arrived from mail and some who we picked up from TSC (including the one mentioned here)), so I'm not sure what could have happened now :(

Thank you for any help you can give

The electrolytes are good. If she’s not drinking you can tilt her head into the water. If she’s not eating you can try giving her some egg yolk. Hopefully more will see your post and give you greater advice, good luck!

The electrolytes are good. If she’s not drinking you can tilt her head into the water. If she’s not eating you can try giving her some egg yolk. Hopefully more will see your post and give you greater advice, good luck!
Thank you for the advice! Tried to give her some egg yolk and she wouldn't take to it at first, but I mixed in a bit of water and she was able to eat some that way. Seemed like she was starting to perk up at least a little after that, though she's still pretty tired

Back
Top Bottom