Help with a chick that won’t grow. Failure to thrive? I hope not!

If one has tofu in their fridge...I love it, used to make it and always had some around.
I'll bet many most don't even know what it is. :D
Tofu? Think so? I thought that tofu was pretty much mainstream by now. You know, what with the vegetarian movement and the health-conscious movement. We usually have it, but then I live with one other person who is loves to cook and we have a temporary friend/roommate who is an actual chef...and all of us love trying foods from other lands, with an emphasis on Asian dishes.

Tofu has calcium and other unique benefits for us women, and the biggest benefit is it's good protein for a low cost.
IIRC it was a 'big good thing' for quite awhile due to the soy and hormones.
I used to put it on soups, marinara, stir fry....just about anything.
Fresh warm curd before pressing was tasty(an acquired taste), I pressed it to a hard state. Kids would eat it cold and plain. Favorite now is to slice to 1/2" and fry it to a crispy outer layer.

Yes, I almost mentioned that about frying. You can get ready mixed tempura batter, dip the tofu in it and deep fry it the Japanese way. You can eat it with dipping sauce of soy sauce and garlic or sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard. Gives your mouth a break from boring mid-west fare.

Yes, I almost mentioned that about frying. You can get ready mixed tempura batter, dip the tofu in it and deep fry it the Japanese way. You can eat it with dipping sauce of soy sauce and garlic or sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard. Gives your mouth a break from boring mid-west fare.
Don't even need batter if your oil's the right temp, cast iron pan with 1/8" olive oil.
I like tamari for dipping.
upload_2019-3-4_19-26-32.png

Growing up in California, tofu was always a thing, lol. I enjoy it in Asian dishes, but its not one of DH favorites, so I usually only eat it when I go out. I never thought of giving it to chickens. That's a great idea.

Tofu is a staple in my kitchen. Love that stuff. But never thought of feeding it to the chicks. I had a pullet last year that was always half or less the size of her hatchmates. I thought sh wasn't going to make it, but she finally laid her first egg yesterday, at 12 months age.

Now I have a baby who sits on her haunches and wobbles all the time. I'm trying to give vitamins and electrolytes by dropper, as I'm not sure how much she's drinking on her own. She eats, but not as much as the other baby with her. They're 2 1/2 weeks old, and the bigger one is scratching around and real active, but she just sits most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom