Help with a couple new pullets...

JeffOeuf

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Springfield Missouri
I posted this on the EE braggers thread, since I thought the pullets were EE's but now I'm doubting that. They're probably just barnyard mutts, but if anyone sees something in them, I'd appreciate a comment.

The younger one in front appears to be developing an upright comb and her legs are dark...not sure if you would call them green or slate. The blue one behind has more of a pea comb. She also has wattles, which I guess means she isn't an EE, but her cape feathers look very much like my other EE.

They probably are a mix of breeds....the one in back has yellow legs, and im not sure if an EE can have yellow legs. but since they are already a mix, they can probably be all colors everywhere.

Those feather colors are amazing! EE's can have wattles and any color of legs, so they could be EE's (the one in front with slate legs and gold coloring really reminds me of an EE). The one in front also looks like some sort of game breed mix, maybe American Game, or a breed with white earlobes. Does the one in back have any feathers on her legs or feet? If they've started laying, let us know the egg colors
roll.png

EE's ARE pretty much barnyard mutts :lol: They're just a mix of breeds used to produce blue or green eggs. The 'true' breeds that produce blue are Americaunas and Aracaunas. EEs are just mixes with these breeds thrown in somewhere. As such, they can have lots of feather patterns. Usually males will have red shoulders.

EE's ARE pretty much barnyard mutts
lol.png
They're just a mix of breeds used to produce blue or green eggs. The 'true' breeds that produce blue are Americaunas and Aracaunas. EEs are just mixes with these breeds thrown in somewhere. As such, they can have lots of feather patterns. Usually males will have red shoulders.

Yes, but they're barnyard mutts that lay blue or green eggs, as opposed to barnyard mutts that lay brown or white eggs.
wink.png

Actually, the picture doesn't do them justice...they're both very attractive birds and very good natured. They imprinted on the coop in just a couple days, and are free-ranging today with my other three with very little drama at all. Looking forward to see what happens on egg color, but I think I have a wait. I'm guessing the blue girl at 16 or 18 weeks and the smaller one at 12 to 14. May not see eggs until spring...but that will be okay.

Thanks for all the compliments on the girls and the guesses on heritage.

Edited to Add:

No feathers on legs. I don't know why, but those bother me. I wouldn't have a chicken with feathered legs. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom