Help with amoxicillin dosage!

awallace14

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
Hey everyone, so I just picked up some amoxicillin for my chicken who I’m pretty sure has a respiratory infection. I’ve read that the dosage for chickens is 125mg twice daily. My problem is that the pills come in 500mg and are not solid so I can’t divide them up. It’s just a powder capsule.
My thoughts are to dissolve it into water and then give her 1/4th of the mixture for 1 dose. Would that be accurate? How much water do I mix it with? Or does someone else have a better way and I’m just not thinking if it? I’m just trying to help my poor lady.

Thanks for your help,
Audrey

How old is she and what breed is she? Maybe her weight can be estimated. To get a rough weight, you can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the chicken, and subtract the difference.

How old is she and what breed is she? Maybe her weight can be estimated. To get a rough weight, you can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the chicken, and subtract the difference.

She’s an Easter Egger and is approximately 4-5 months old. I will try weighing like that I didn’t even think of that. I’m just frazzled trying to figure out what to do for her. Thank you!!!

She’s an Easter Egger and is approximately 4-5 months old. I will try weighing like that I didn’t even think of that. I’m just frazzled trying to figure out what to do for her. Thank you!!!

Just tried that and according to my scale (which could be way off) she’s like a pound maybe??

That sounds too low. A bantam chicken weighs 1-2 pounds. Is she nearly grown and large fowl? I would guess that she would be at least 3 pounds or more, but she might be small or underweight. A kitchen scale from Walmart in the kitchen gadget aisle is around $15, and would be more accurate.

That sounds too low. A bantam chicken weighs 1-2 pounds. Is she nearly grown and large fowl? I would guess that she would be at least 3 pounds or more, but she might be small or underweight. A kitchen scale from Walmart in the kitchen gadget aisle is around $15, and would be more accurate.

My husband just went to go buy one. Once we find out how much she weighs to give the correct dosage, do you think mixing it in some water and then dividing it up into equal parts based on the dose she needs would work?

My husband just went to go buy one. Once we find out how much she weighs to give the correct dosage, do you think mixing it in some water and then dividing it up into equal parts based on the dose she needs would work?
I would take one capsule, mix with 10 ml of water, then give 1.14 ml per pound.
10 ml of water plus 500 mg = 50 mg per 1 ml

Back
Top Bottom