Help with baby chick leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Kate, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

The other day, i went to buy some silkies, and silkie EE mixes from a nice local breeder. After i picked my beautiful baby chicks, he asked if i wouldn't mind taking an EE pure breed for free. (Uh duh, obviously not lol.) Well as it turns out, he needed me to take her and nurse her back to health. She is a week old, she has one leg that is not functional. It goes behind her. The "Knee" area is swollen. I have tried a splint thing with a straw but noooot sure i did that right. Any suggestions? I really would like to help this baby.
    Thanks all so very much .

2. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Can you post a photo?

3. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

I can try. Wish me luck lol she is REALLY mad at me lol.

4. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

As you can see, i have the rubber band still on her. But, to be honest, as a worry wort dork lol i am afraid to make it to tight.

Attached Files:

5. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

Without the rubberband he leg goes behind her 100% .I just want to give her a chance at a good life .

jonalisa likes this.
  6. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    That's how you know she loves you.
    If you have vet wrap or a bandaid, that works well. Looks like you've done a good job, Mama.

Chicken Kate likes this.
  7. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I think a hair elastic is a better option than a rubber band. And a bandaid or vet wrap better than those. :) As long as it works. The important thing is starting it early and you've done that.

8. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

Awwe thank you, that makes me a lot better. I hope youre right. I really love these babies.

Aww thank you again. Oddly enough, evem though we are pretty much a farming community, we do not have an avian vet near by. I wanted to get her while she was super young. Thank you for the hair band idea. Ill switch to that now. I hope i can help her. Again thank you so very much .

9. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    No worries... I'll try to check back in the a.m. good luck to you :)

10. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

You are the best. Looks like it worked. She is walking like normal

Quik1th likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: