Smerky210

Hatching
Mar 8, 2023
Virginia
I think I made a mistake when I put my ladies out in their coop with the attached run. I didn't prep the run in any way, shape or form, and just assumed the dirt/grass/weed situation was good enough. Now that it's been a few weeks obviously the weeds/grass are gone and it's just bare soil, but the chickens are digging into the ground and making holes. After doing some research, I realized I should've layered about 4 - 6" of something on top of the natural ground. But what?! I see sand, I see soil, I see straw (and I've also seen a million people post this question, but none I saw were in mid-Atlantic/Virginia). Please help! I would like the most low maintenance option, that will limit the smell (we're in a neighborhood). I have pine shavings in the coop if that at all matters. I know some of y'all are experts, but if you respond with a concoction of things to mix, please post links and instructions like you're talking to a child :D

How big is your run, and how is it constructed? Pictures would help. I use deep litter in my run. It consists of a mixture of things. Bark mulch, leaves, used pine shavings and torn up cardboard are some of the things that can be used.I just dump it in, and the girls have a great time scratching and spread ing it around. Just keep adding more as it decomposes.

After doing some research, I realized I should've layered about 4 - 6" of something on top of the natural ground. But what?! I see sand, I see soil, I see straw (and I've also seen a million people post this question, but none I saw were in mid-Atlantic/Virginia). Please help! I would like the most low maintenance option, that will limit the smell (we're in a neighborhood). I have pine shavings in the coop if that at all matters. I know some of y'all are experts, but if you respond with a concoction of things to mix, please post links and instructions like you're talking to a child :D

I'm in the mid-Atlantic (Maryland, near Baltimore). You're going to want to start with wood chips, most likely. They help with drainage, which is going to be important when we get heavy rains.

The lowest-maintenance option is definitely the deep litter method. If you've ever done a compost pile where you alternate "brown" and "green" material, it will be familiar. You'd start with a large quantity of something "brown" aka woody, like wood chips, pine pellets, hemp bedding, etc. Then you'd occasionally toss in some "green" aka leafy materials. Grass clippings, dry leaves, hedge trimmings, etc. (If they are pesticide-free and chicken-safe). The chickens will turn everything for you, and their poop will be composted along with everything else. You just keep adding more woody and leafy matter over the months/years as it breaks down into soil.

Like aart mentioned, if you have the space and want a ton of wood chips, you can have an arborist drop off a dumptruck-load of wood chips in front of your house (aka chip drop). HOWEVER, if you go that route it's important to let the freshly-cut wood chips sit for a few weeks to let them compost. Otherwise you risk mold developing in the chips, which can be fatal to your birds. Once the pile is no longer hot on the inside, you can use the chips in the run.

Don't add straw unless you know that your run won't turn into a mud pit in prolonged heavy rain. Straw is kind of waxy and non-absorbent, and it becomes a slipping hazard if you add it to a muddy run.

Don't use sand unless you want to scoop chicken poops every day, like a cat litterbox. Sand is its own standalone thing, you don't combine it with any plant matter.

I'm in the mid-Atlantic (Maryland, near Baltimore). You're going to want to start with wood chips, most likely. They help with drainage, which is going to be important when we get heavy rains.

The lowest-maintenance option is definitely the deep litter method. If you've ever done a compost pile where you alternate "brown" and "green" material, it will be familiar. You'd start with a large quantity of something "brown" aka woody, like wood chips, pine pellets, hemp bedding, etc. Then you'd occasionally toss in some "green" aka leafy materials. Grass clippings, dry leaves, hedge trimmings, etc. (If they are pesticide-free and chicken-safe). The chickens will turn everything for you, and their poop will be composted along with everything else. You just keep adding more woody and leafy matter over the months/years as it breaks down into soil.

Like aart mentioned, if you have the space and want a ton of wood chips, you can have an arborist drop off a dumptruck-load of wood chips in front of your house (aka chip drop). HOWEVER, if you go that route it's important to let the freshly-cut wood chips sit for a few weeks to let them compost. Otherwise you risk mold developing in the chips, which can be fatal to your birds. Once the pile is no longer hot on the inside, you can use the chips in the run.

Don't add straw unless you know that your run won't turn into a mud pit in prolonged heavy rain. Straw is kind of waxy and non-absorbent, and it becomes a slipping hazard if you add it to a muddy run.

Don't use sand unless you want to scoop chicken poops every day, like a cat litterbox. Sand is its own standalone thing, you don't combine it with any plant matter.
I use deep litter in my run just as previous posters recommend and it works great but my run is covered and stays dry. I have drainage ditch on one side and gutter on the run roof with a hose to carry the water away plus a shade that I put down to keep rain from blowing in on the weather side of it when we get storms. Deep litter won't work on an uncovered run or one that gets a lot of moisture in it.

Back
Top Bottom