Since my run will be over dirt I assume it will be ok to lay down a thin layer and slowly add more. Our climate is pretty dry so hopefully it won’t take too long to dry them out?
Yes, add a thin layer once a week or so.
Do you have a place to store a huge pile where it won't be in the way?
Also chipdrop works great in some areas, not so much in others,
finding a tree trimming service nearby can be a faster way.

True...I waited over 6 months and never received a Chipdrop. But I do live in a very rural area so that may be the reason.

As for my run I used sand...that's what our natural ground is so I figured I would stick with it. Works great for me! I just scoop the little darlings gifts out everyday and sprinkle some barn lime on the spots that get hit the worst every few days. My coop is fairly close to my house so it has to stay fresh and not smell.

I do have an area of empty garden space where I can keep a pile. And yeah I haven’t put in the chipdrop order yet still thinking it through. I will contact a tree trimming service and compare!

My run is a hoop coop, and open to the elements. I have been using straw and grass clippings over the dirt, adding as needed, especially after a hard rain. The chickens love it, and mix everything up nicely. If I move some of the litter I see earthworms busy at work underneath.

I've had no issues with smell, though Summer hasn't hit here yet in NC.

Back
Top Bottom