Help with crippled, lonely chicken

quackenboss

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2016
Huntsville, Texas
I have a chicken who injured herself trying to get away from my dog. Since then, she will not use one of her legs, and frankly, I can’t afford to get her x-rayed to find out why, but she gets around just fine. She was out with the rest of the flock a few days ago, and was brutally attacked by the other chickens, so it’s clear she needs to be segregated from them. I know she is lonely, so my question is whether, if I let her raise a couple of chicks, will they be likely to attack her too when they are grown, or will they accept her as she is?

I have a chicken who injured herself trying to get away from my dog. Since then, she will not use one of her legs, and frankly, I can’t afford to get her x-rayed to find out why, but she gets around just fine. She was out with the rest of the flock a few days ago, and was brutally attacked by the other chickens, so it’s clear she needs to be segregated from them. I know she is lonely, so my question is whether, if I let her raise a couple of chicks, will they be likely to attack her too when they are grown, or will they accept her as she is?
I'd say some will accept her and others won't.

Chickens have a habit of attacking vulnerable chickens with injuries. I guess it's there way of weeding out the weak.

It's good you saw her getting attacked so you can intervene in the situation. You should keep her separated till she's able to defend herself.

From my observations, chickens don't feel lonely when there by themselves. They just behave that way because there in a new situation/environment.

Back
Top Bottom