Help With Determing Chicken Breed

Bullitt

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Texas
I did not spell determining correctly in the headline and I can't figure out how to correct it.

I am sorry I do not have a picture.

My father, who lives in another state than I do, told me that some hens he was given a few months ago have started laying brown eggs this month. He said the hens are also brown in color, but they have no tail feathers, or "no butt," as my father put it.

He said he was told they are Araucana chickens. I told my father that I thought that breed of chicken laid blue or green eggs.

So I looked up some information on Araucana and I do not see a brown variety, but I did see a red variety, and they lay turquoise or blue-shelled eggs.

What chicken breed has hens that are brown, has no tail feathers, and lays brown eggs? Or maybe these are mixed breed chickens with no tail feathers?

Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Thanks.

Last edited:
could also be that there is a feather plucker in the group with an afinity for long tail feathers, or they were too crowded where they were before, or any other number of reasons why they have "no butt"...pictures would be the best way for us to help determine what kind of birds they are.

As I mentioned, my father is in another state. And he doesn't know his way around a computer very well.

So I am out of luck with pictures.

But I thought the no tail feathers would really narrow down the list of breeds, then we just have to find hens that are brown and lay brown eggs. It seems simple. :)

could also be that there is a feather plucker in the group with an afinity for long tail feathers, or they were too crowded where they were before, or any other number of reasons why they have "no butt"...pictures would be the best way for us to help determine what kind of birds they are.

No, these are hens that naturally do not have tail feathers. My father got them as chicks about five months ago, and this month they started laying brown eggs.

And they can lay brown eggs? I thought the chickens called Easter Eggers were all mixed up chickens that could lay blue or green eggs.

And they can lay brown eggs? I thought the chickens called Easter Eggers were all mixed up chickens that could lay blue or green eggs.

Easter eggers can lay any color. i had one that laid brown eggs. since there a mix breed they can lay just one color egg.
most easter eggers lay colored eggs. but not all

my easter egger that i use to have. single comb and pink legs. Amerecana/Buff orp x Buff orp cross. still an easter egger just 2nd generation ( her mom the ameracana cross layed brown eggs) she also laid brown eggs

Last edited:
yep yep. I had an easter egger who laid brown eggs too.

The BROWN eggs in this picture belong to her. Note her cream/yellow legs, but she still retains the pea comb and muffs so common in EEs.

I did take a cruze through the rumpless pages on feathersite, and there ARE other rumpless breeds, there is even a rumpless OEGB chick pictured, but they would be even more rare than true auracanas are in the states, and keeping in mind that they were given to your dad as auracanas, it was probably the same situation we see here on BYC alot where someone was sold easter eggers under the guise of auracaunas or americauna or some other variation of such, but his just happen to be more interesting in that they are rumpless.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rump/BRKRumpless.html

Are they tufted? That would be super cool...but as far as I know (which is not much about auracanas), they are all supposed to lay blue...so probably some super cool easter eggers.

Back
Top Bottom