Help with dislocated “knee” on my duck

The swelling should have subsided by now after 2 weeks. It the leg still dislocated? At this point, I might just splint it for support again, and see if the duck can walk on it. You might want to try another material for splinting. Have you tried vet wrap? Just make sure that it isn’t too tight. Here is a good link about splinting:

I have had my ducks pull off their bandages as well when I was treating bumble foot, they can be stinkers sometimes, but they don't understand you're trying to help them. Did the vet put the dislocation back in place, or say it was at least possible?
The vet pretty much said there is nothing that can be done, just rest with as little movement as possible and that all splinting and wrapping would do would be just causing more uncomfortable for him, and that it would never be right again, which is why I am trying to reach out, that just seems crazy and kind of a lazy way out (in my mind) she just gave me antibiotics(for what sounds like an upper respiratory thing) and pain medication for the joint. She pretty much told me “we can wrap and brace it, but doesn’t really help anything in the long run but cause more discomfort”

The vet pretty much said there is nothing that can be done, just rest with as little movement as possible and that all splinting and wrapping would do would be just causing more uncomfortable for him, and that it would never be right again, which is why I am trying to reach out, that just seems crazy and kind of a lazy way out (in my mind) she just gave me antibiotics(for what sounds like an upper respiratory thing) and pain medication for the joint. She pretty much told me “we can wrap and brace it, but doesn’t really help anything in the long run but cause more discomfort”
I didn't want to be negative, but it did cross my mind that the vet seemed a little "out to lunch" but I would do as @Eggcessive said and re-splint the leg for support using vet wrap. I'm certainly no trained vet, but even I know that splinting is at least going to provide added support for the leg. If you could post some pictures, that would also give my an idea of what kind of dislocation you're dealing with.

2FBD81E9-9F5D-4C86-A6A1-1EF842896FBC.jpeg
F48936BD-8A41-4CA6-945A-207BF6354468.jpeg
4B2E3316-7BDE-4B11-8EC3-BC22568C73E6.jpeg
4C0D1AF1-E631-47BF-974F-71EC727A5C2E.jpeg
09440F62-5A04-4201-B2FD-3EB6C210A70D.jpeg

When I was wrapping I was first wrapping fluffy gauze to his skin of the leg, then wrapped (with more fluffy gauze) popsicle sticks with self adhesive “elastic bandage”

Hiya :frow
Nice to meet you!
:welcome

I’m glad you had his leg x-ray’d and took him to the veterinarian. Don’t know if you’ve ever dislocated a joint ... boy I have! Follow the vets recommendation. Keep it wrapped and supported. Sometimes a dislocated joint can pop back out. If that be the case have the vet readjust it and re-wrap it. Sometimes that happens especially with animals that just don’t want to sit and rest. You might want to restrict his movements with a small enclosure. Best wishes. And welcome to BYC

The vet actually didn’t “do” anything to the joint, just took the xRays and said it was dislocated and nothing could be done... and wrapping doesn’t “really fix anything” that is why I am posting, to kind of get a “second opinion”

View attachment 1637434 View attachment 1637435 View attachment 1637436 View attachment 1637437 View attachment 1637438
When I was wrapping I was first wrapping fluffy gauze to his skin of the leg, then wrapped (with more fluffy gauze) popsicle sticks with self adhesive “elastic bandage”
Poor guy! I know with humans a dislocated shoulder can be pushed/popped back into place, I am wondering, can the same be done for a ducks leg, even if it's dislocated at the joint? Let me do some research. @Eggcessive any insight on this?

I see this in that link: Only certain types of luxations (e.g. phalangeal, coracoid/shoulder, metacarpal, metarsopha- langeal) following reposition of the joint, can fully recover with cage rest and a simple bandage only and regain their full range of motion.
So maybe I should see if I can find another vet that would see him(half my battle was finding someone that WOULD actually see him to take x-rays and what not) that would be willing to “reposition” his dislocation.

Oh no, that almost looks as if the joint if frozen in a very unnatural position. Did the vet think it was broken as well as dislocated? I really think that is out of my limit of knowledge. Hopefully, others with duck experience will chime in. I would hate to tell you to do something that would make it worse. @WVduckchick, @Miss Lydia, @casportpony, and others, can you look at this?

Back
Top Bottom