Help with duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Guccibirds423, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Guccibirds423

Guccibirds423 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have duck eggs in my incubator. My temp this time has changed so much that I think I have lost most of them. But it is day 24 and I hear chriping and peaking in one of the eggs. Should I go ahead and raise the humidity in there? How long til it hatches? This is my first time with duck eggs. Please help.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Duck eggs hatch at 28 days, but if your temps have been hotter than 99.5 then they might hatch early. If you already hear movement, go ahead and put them in lockdown (you would have done it tomorrow anyway, so it won't hurt) and get that humidity up! Ducks need more humidity than chickens do - try to get it to 70%. If you need more help, come on over to the duck forum! There are lots of experienced hatchers, especially in the thread called "Thread formerly known as hatch day is today" so don't hesitate to post in it if you need more help!

And don't worry too much about crazy temperatures - I had one batch of duck eggs spike to 113 degrees at least three times, and 75% of them still made it to hatch - so it can happen!

3. Guccibirds423

I am only having movement in one egg. so I was worried that it would affect the other eggs. I hope some hatch. I just have a styrofoam bator i bought at tractor supply. I have the humidty trays filled and a sponge with water do you think that will be decent humidity or should I add a wet towel as well?

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have any way to measure the humidity? Because that's really what you need to be sure. You can get cheap ones at Walmart or something - usually in the outdoor section. Something like this, which is what I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

Or in a pinch you can buy a little reptile humidity gauge at a pet store but those can be up to 10% off so you can only really use those to get a ballpark estimate.

5. Guccibirds423

he has peeped about 1/4 around the shel already!

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Congrats! How's he doing now? Is he out yet? It can seem like an eternity while you wait for them to finish :lol:

7. Guccibirds423

He isnt out yet but his beak is and he has his a hole in the egg! soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by