Help with duck identification

Interesting. So, if they are hybrids, does that mean that they are sterile? I’m sorry for Telegraph silly questions. I am really getting attached to these guys. I have a 15 month old. Her first word, besides momma and dada, was duck. We just love them so. I didn’t realize how attached I was until the Muscovy (one of the only ones I could identify for obvious reasons) went missing at the beginning of May.
They look like hybrids to me too. But no they aren't sterile. Like chickens, domestic duck breeds are closely enough related that they can all be cross bred without any problems. They aren't really very different species, and they all descend from mallards. I dont know about Muscovies though. They dont descend from mallards. So I dont think muscovys are related enough to reproduce viable offspring with other breeds.

My understanding is that muscovy and mallard derived ducks (domestic ducks like pekins and others) can have ducklings, but those ducklings will be sterile and can't have ducklings.

Mallard derived ducks of different breeds breed together and have ducklings just like mallards - though I've heard of size difference related breeding complications before.

Back
Top Bottom