Help with eye injury.

Evening , Roz --- Yes, I agree.

A collection of pus is not dangerous in itself as it is just a sign of an active immune response. In fighting the infection the dead white blood cells etc have collected and the body will reabsorb it eventually but ideally it should be drained...

This is probably the site of the original injury where just enough bacteria got embedded to get a toehold. And you know the problem. This small abscess is isolated enough that antibiotics whether injectable or oral do not really reach it as the circulation in that part of the eye is just small capillaries. So it really comes down to the ophthalmic ointment. Even so do not stop the injectable antibiotics since they should stop the spread of infection (ie systemic sepsis).

What antibiotic is in your ointment? It is probably broad spectrum enough but I want to check. What I wouldn't give for BLUE pus right now! At least we would know that we were dealing with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. I suppose it is just the usual thin whitish - yellow? The usual suspect here besides strains of Staph & Strep would be Pasteurella multocida which is normally found in the upper respiratory tract of chickens. (Yes, it causes Fowl Cholera but some birds will be asymptomatic carriers.) P. multocida commonly causes corneal ulcers. The bacteria is sensitive to penicillins, cephalosporins and tetracyclines ( and probably other antibiotics --- need to check).

When you examine her eye, how does the conjunctiva look? Red? Swollen? Or are we mainly confined to this "white cap" over the iris? (That is an accurate description of a corneal ulcer.) You may not be able to just wipe that away as I suggested. It will probably come down to the antibiotics which is why you need a broad spectrum ointment or even alternating between two different types.

It's late so I will come back to the loose ends tomorrow. Keep me updated as you can but I understand you will be busy with work for a few days. I will be checking in if you need me.

Take Care!

Not sure if this is helpful, but the there's some tylosin (Tylan) dosing info here as well as a comment about using it mixed with saline to flush eyes or sinuses, I don't remember which, lol.

Last edited:
Hi,

Kathy, I wish I could enlarge the tables so that I could read. They get blurry. Will try again when not working, so I have time to fiddle with it. Eye washes should be good. Hadn't thought of that. Even boric acid, which is what my mom used when I was a kid for pinkeye.

Blackberry, The eye ointment is chloramphenicol 1%. The pus pocket looks about the same, and I have removed a small amt of thinner, free white drainage last night and this morning. THe inner lids are a bit red, which seems understandable to me. No angry injected red, just beleaguered, perhaps from all the unusual activity I have been subjecting it to. I cant see much of the eye it self, but it doesn't look bad, not cloudy.. Can't see any of the white area, the tissues are a wee bit swollen. She does hold it closed.

She ate very well yesterday. I had been spoiling her with eggs, yogurt, and sneaking crumbles in. She ate a whole bowl of crumbles and left the poop to prove it.

Can't wait for tomorrow when I can get serious about this again.

She's had more penicillin. I found that if I wrap her head just right, I can handle her better. Thinking I might be able to drain the thing after all.

I just remembered and found some tobradex (tobramycin and desamethasone eye ointment.

I am going to be so late. If I am not overloaded today, will try to heck in.

Hi,

Kathy, I wish I could enlarge the tables so that I could read. They get blurry. Will try again when not working, so I have time to fiddle with it. Eye washes should be good. Hadn't thought of that. Even boric acid, which is what my mom used when I was a kid for pinkeye.

........................................................snip............................................................

If you're on an iPad, try opening each picture in a new tab and if you're on a computer, do a right mouse click and "open link in new window". If that doesn't work, the source is here:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

The above link is part of this two book set:
http://avianmedicine.net/publication_cat/clinical-avian-medicine/

I found that link here:
http://avianmedicine.net/

-Kathy

Uh oh, blackberry took the day off!

But good news, as far as I can see. The white "thing" has now flattened out, as if it drained itself, and there is now what looks like cloudy, very thick membrane. I can see more of her eye. There was no pus in her eye tonight.

She didn't eat today like she did yesterday, but is about to get an omelet of egg, yogurt and crumbles, as soon as it cools. (Not as fancy as it sounds.)

I didn't know ocular Marek's even existed. More to read up on. Her eye doesn't look like that, but the links are worth reading. Most of the great stuff people post links to end up in my favorites, and it is a mile long.

I'm amazed and pleased at how well she has done so quickly. Now if she can knock out the rest and see, I'll be very happy.

Hi, Roz & Lily & Everyone --- I can't say much tonight as I am falling asleep.

To nutshell it:

Lily is definitely holding her own w alot of help from you. The LACK of intense redness or swelling of the conjunctiva tells me a lot --- good news. The pus pocket draining and the minimal pus production overall --- good news. She is eating etc ---good news. (Many animals when under stress & in pain just shut down and refuse to eat.)

I think success here lies in hitting this with a different antibiotic. Stick with the penicillin but please consider switching ophthalmic oinments to the tobramycin. I am open to eye washes. It can't hurt. We can make them as long as we follow sterile protocol.

We DO NOT want to talk about Aspergillosis. Roz, you can take note that it would spread along the optic nerve to the brain and as the lesions developed, neurological symptoms would manifest, such as convulsions. GAME OVER. No treatment. I know your patient doesn't want to hold still but if you could look at the "white cap" with a magnifying glass and it WERE Aspergillosis then it would look fuzzy like mold (It is actually fungus but that makes people think of mushrooms. Think miniature gauzy white cotton balls.) And it will GROW! No, I refuse to contemplate it.

Will check in tomorrow. Keep up the great job! :) Take care, Sherilyn

Uh oh, blackberry took the day off!

But good news, as far as I can see. The white "thing" has now flattened out, as if it drained itself, and there is now what looks like cloudy, very thick membrane. I can see more of her eye. There was no pus in her eye tonight.

She didn't eat today like she did yesterday, but is about to get an omelet of egg, yogurt and crumbles, as soon as it cools. (Not as fancy as it sounds.)

I didn't know ocular Marek's even existed. More to read up on. Her eye doesn't look like that, but the links are worth reading. Most of the great stuff people post links to end up in my favorites, and it is a mile long.

I'm amazed and pleased at how well she has done so quickly. Now if she can knock out the rest and see, I'll be very happy.
Just a reminder, not all diseases present with all or the same symptoms. ( that picture was just one of many, and they all look different, I just didn't have time to post them all) Just thought you might want the information, as like you, most people do not know it exists. Hope things look up for your bird and for you!!! Best wishes
hugs.gif
oh, also, they only way to know if a bird has mareks, is a necropsy...just more FYI. Being a nurse, I thought you would want any and all info on eye issues. I am studying up on all chicken diseases, in the hopes that IF, one or more of my birds show symptoms, I can affectively treat them! ( or do whatever it is, I need to do ) Also, since sooo many of the chicken diseases are highly contagious, or will make a surviving bird a carrier, I want to know if my flock ever comes down with something, how to not only protect my own birds, but others flocks, as I go to the same feed stores and places that other chicken owners go to and would HATE to think I had infected another's flock inadvertently, by not knowing! Some diseases are carried on the wind for miles, wild birds carry them, ( to name a couple transmition routes) and I have other flocks in my area too.

We just went through a bout with cocci, and since I have no other chickens here, am guessing, it was transmitted by wild birds, onto our land? Luckily for us, we had no other diseases show up. If something else was going on, it would've reared it's head with my birds immunities lowered!

Praying for you and a speedy recovery for your bird!

Back
Top Bottom