Help with eye injury.

Pics

Please

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
So yesterday my dad and I went to the run to feed the chickens and we noticed one of the hens couldn't move around very well.. so I grabbed her and saw that her eye had been hurt. But like not the eye but the eyebrow area. I believe one of the other hens did it.. since one of them just went broody around the same time. Here is the hen's eye. Should I try to treat it or should I let it heal on it's own?

As long as it is medical quality and not just a health food store colloidal silver. The stuff found in most health food store can be dangerous to both humans and our animals. It's not the same stuff you get from a doctor or pharmacy. Just an FYI here. I have the medical quality stuff and it is awesome, but I would never think of using anything else other than that.

X2

O have a daughter that is going through med school ( late in life ) and I had asked her about this new silver fad, for myself. She told me that silver builds up in the system and cause heavy metal poisoning...I would be VERY careful about some of these types of things. For one, the herbal medicines are not regulated by the FDA, so they are not accountable to anyone. Also, the dose may not be consistant with each pill or whatever form it is in. I personally DO use some medicinal herbs, but ONLY what I KNOW are safe. I use white willow bark, which is the basic ingredient in asprin, for pain relief. I also used cherry bark and red clover for coughs with my kids when they were growing up...but those are tried and true and don't build up in your system as silver does and I knew how to make them( from my great grandmother) and you would have to take copious amounts to hurt yourself!

All things in moderation, is my motto. That goes for treating my animals, as well as myself! Just be very careful, research what you are doing, not just on one BYC thread, but within the whole community..there are many threads that have a tremendous amount of info, especially from the older folks that have been doing this for 30, 40, 50 years, OR have faced many forms of illnesses and have successfully treated for them!!!

I too would gently TRY to clean the eye out, but would NOT use any med for something that it is not indicated for. I also would give it a day or two, after gently attempting to clean it, before treating it, unless you absolutely know for sure, what you are dealing with...I always go with my first instinct
wink.png
too!

Hope she gets better soon, best of luck!

Not sure if this is helpful, but the there's some tylosin (Tylan) dosing info here as well as a comment about using it mixed with saline to flush eyes or sinuses, I don't remember which, lol.

Last edited:
Uh oh, blackberry took the day off!

But good news, as far as I can see. The white "thing" has now flattened out, as if it drained itself, and there is now what looks like cloudy, very thick membrane. I can see more of her eye. There was no pus in her eye tonight.

She didn't eat today like she did yesterday, but is about to get an omelet of egg, yogurt and crumbles, as soon as it cools. (Not as fancy as it sounds.)

I didn't know ocular Marek's even existed. More to read up on. Her eye doesn't look like that, but the links are worth reading. Most of the great stuff people post links to end up in my favorites, and it is a mile long.

I'm amazed and pleased at how well she has done so quickly. Now if she can knock out the rest and see, I'll be very happy.
Just a reminder, not all diseases present with all or the same symptoms. ( that picture was just one of many, and they all look different, I just didn't have time to post them all) Just thought you might want the information, as like you, most people do not know it exists. Hope things look up for your bird and for you!!! Best wishes
hugs.gif
oh, also, they only way to know if a bird has mareks, is a necropsy...just more FYI. Being a nurse, I thought you would want any and all info on eye issues. I am studying up on all chicken diseases, in the hopes that IF, one or more of my birds show symptoms, I can affectively treat them! ( or do whatever it is, I need to do ) Also, since sooo many of the chicken diseases are highly contagious, or will make a surviving bird a carrier, I want to know if my flock ever comes down with something, how to not only protect my own birds, but others flocks, as I go to the same feed stores and places that other chicken owners go to and would HATE to think I had infected another's flock inadvertently, by not knowing! Some diseases are carried on the wind for miles, wild birds carry them, ( to name a couple transmition routes) and I have other flocks in my area too.

We just went through a bout with cocci, and since I have no other chickens here, am guessing, it was transmitted by wild birds, onto our land? Luckily for us, we had no other diseases show up. If something else was going on, it would've reared it's head with my birds immunities lowered!

Praying for you and a speedy recovery for your bird!

More on ocular Marek's... I have Marek's here, so I have seen all the types, including at least six different forms of the ocular form, one of those was cloudy/opaque eyes (confirmed by necropsy). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I think it's Marek's, I just wanted to share my ocular Marek's experience.

-Kathy

Umm... Its a tricky thing I can imagine, but if you've ever heard of it, there's a liquid medicine called Colloidal Silver. Its completely natural and is also drinkable can be used on human and animals in eyes, mouth skin anything really. I highly recommend it because it won't cause any pain to your chicken.

If it were me, I would give it a day or two. As long as there are no respiratory symptoms involved, it may very well be just hurt and will heal or not on it's own. Just keep a good eye on it, if you start seeing any other type of symptoms, please post back. Right now, I'm really not sure there is anything you could really do to help. There are threads on BYC that tell how they have used triple antibiotic ointment and other ophthalmic creams, but myself, I really try to stay away from that. A coop is a dirty place, no matter how clean we keep it. There is dust and all kinds of other not so nice things floating in the air. You put an ointment on the eye and that stuff floating is going to end up sticking in it. If your hen is healthy to begin with, chances are you will not have to do anything at all. Right now, even though it looks very clean, the nost i would do is get a bottle of saline eye drops, keep this chilled and wet a soft piece of guaze with it and wipe the eye a couple of times a day. The saline drops have a slight antibiotic property and the coolness will help with any swelling.

If it were me, I would give it a day or two. As long as there are no respiratory symptoms involved, it may very well be just hurt and will heal or not on it's own. Just keep a good eye on it, if you start seeing any other type of symptoms, please post back. Right now, I'm really not sure there is anything you could really do to help. There are threads on BYC that tell how they have used triple antibiotic ointment and other ophthalmic creams, but myself, I really try to stay away from that. A coop is a dirty place, no matter how clean we keep it. There is dust and all kinds of other not so nice things floating in the air. You put an ointment on the eye and that stuff floating is going to end up sticking in it. If your hen is healthy to begin with, chances are you will not have to do anything at all. Right now, even though it looks very clean, the nost i would do is get a bottle of saline eye drops, keep this chilled and wet a soft piece of guaze with it and wipe the eye a couple of times a day. The saline drops have a slight antibiotic property and the coolness will help with any swelling.
i don't think it'd be a respiratory issue since there was blood in that spot yesterday.

Umm... Its a tricky thing I can imagine, but if you've ever heard of it, there's a liquid medicine called Colloidal Silver. Its completely natural and is also drinkable can be used on human and animals in eyes, mouth skin anything really. I highly recommend it because it won't cause any pain to your chicken.
As long as it is medical quality and not just a health food store colloidal silver. The stuff found in most health food store can be dangerous to both humans and our animals. It's not the same stuff you get from a doctor or pharmacy. Just an FYI here. I have the medical quality stuff and it is awesome, but I would never think of using anything else other than that.

Back
Top Bottom