Help with Georgia Laws

Jimmy Campbell

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2017
I am Jimmy Campbell and I live in Lookout Mountain, Georgia and have 16 "illegal" chickens. There is an old city ordinance banning livestock and the police commissioner said that included chickens. Anyway, I found state law 529 which says:

SECTION 1.
Chapter 1 of Title 2 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to general provisions relative to agriculture, is amended by adding a new Code section to read as follows:

"2-1-6.
(a) No county, municipality, consolidated government, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, rule, regulation, or resolution regulating crop management or animal husbandry practices involved in the production of agricultural or farm products on any private property.

(b) Subsection (a) of this Code section shall not prohibit or impair the power of any local government to adopt or enforce any zoning ordinance or make any other zoning decision. As used in this subsection, the terms 'local government', 'zoning decision', and 'zoning ordinance' have the same meanings provided by Code Section 36-66-3.

Can anyone tell me if they know of any court cases using this ordinance?

Thanks,

Jimmy Campbell

:welcome

Hi Jimmy, sorry you're having problems. Here's a link to the GA state thread that @sourland mentioned.

By chance are you living in a HOA? Those rules can override others. Anyway, check in with your fellow Georgians and see if anyone there can help you out.

Best of luck to you!

G’Day from down under Jimmy :frow Welcome!

Forgive this Aussie if she has it wrong but GA is Georgia? If so, then this is the thread I believe you might want to check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yo-georgians.121387/

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Edited to add: Doh! It say Georgia in the subject Teila! :smack Oh well, at least I posted the link :p ;)

@N F C, you didn't post the link. :oops:

Oops, so I did. Sorry!

G’Day from down under Jimmy :frow Welcome!

Forgive this Aussie if she has it wrong but GA is Georgia? If so, then this is the thread I believe you might want to check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yo-georgians.121387/

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Edited to add: Doh! It say Georgia in the subject Teila! :smack Oh well, at least I posted the link :p ;)

Thanks for picking up my slack!

Back
Top Bottom