Help with injured/sick duck?

usernameguy123

Hatching
Sep 1, 2023
Hi, a few days ago my dad accidentally stepped on one of our ducks (Jeff) it was an accident as Jeff always runs for our feet and gets under them a lot, but he went into a bit of shock and hasn't recovered, he doesn't move a lot, he doesn't turn his head into his body to sleep, he hasn't been eating and his poop is green, we took him to the vets on Wednesday and they looked him over said there's no visible damage or damage he can feel and gave him some painkiller and an anti-biotic, since then he's started doing a weird sneezing like thing? (i'll post a video if I can) and his poo's are still green, he's showing no improvement and any advice would be great

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/860120208 (video of him making the noise)

poojeff.jpg

he needs to eat. what have you tried feeding him ? you can make a mash by adding some warm water into a small bowl of his regular feed and stir it to an oatmeal consistency . you can try things like soft scrambled egg, or cooked mashed peas. if he won't eat at all and it's been a few days i would try tube feeding.
i would also put some poultry vitamins in his water, some thing like Nutra drench or vitamins with electrolytes for poultry, follow the directions on the labels
to recover from shock, they need to be in a dark quiet place so they can rest.

he needs to eat. what have you tried feeding him ? you can make a mash by adding some warm water into a small bowl of his regular feed and stir it to an oatmeal consistency . you can try things like soft scrambled egg, or cooked mashed peas. if he won't eat at all and it's been a few days i would try tube feeding.
i would also put some poultry vitamins in his water, some thing like Nutra drench or vitamins with electrolytes for poultry, follow the directions on the labels
to recover from shock, they need to be in a dark quiet place so they can rest.
Hi, thank you for the reply, we've tried mealworm an chick crumbs, lettuce and stuff like that, we have been putting the poultry vitamins in his water, will try putting him in the pen where it's dark and making some scrambled egg or mashing the food, thank you

Your dad accidentally stepped on him where? what part of his body?

He shouldn't still be in shock if the accident happened a few days ago.

I'd def think of tube feeding let us know if this is an option and we have info on what you need and how to.
We're a bit unsure of where exactly it was on his body, he just says that Jeff rolled under and my dad fell over cause he didn't want to put too much pressure on him, as for the tube feeding, I'm unsure as I've never done that but we just saw this (see image) where he has been resting and are unsure if it's one of the anti biotics that the vet gave him, and if possibly the other one is the reason he keeps almost coughing, unsure if that would effect tube feeding or not

Attachments

• tab.jpg
    tab.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 9
The Nutra Drench is a great product! I have used it's varieties for sheep, goats and chickens with impressive results sometimes. It has revitalized very lethargic, and sometimes badly injured recovering animals for me on several occasions. Try it and see if that will help along with handfeeding or stomach tubing a meal. I have witnessed animals responding positively in minutes. Best wishes!

What color are the meds maybe he aspirated some of it and caused him to spit up and cough?
Here is info on tube feeding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
Unfortunately the vet took him into a different room to give him the medication so I never actually saw the pill (I will see if it says what type it was on the receipt and google), also for the tube feeding, is it safe to do if we are unsure of how his insides currently are? (unsure if there's any damage to them as we've not been able to get a scan, and probably won't be able to soon as no avian vets available for a little while) Also not sure if this is because he's hot or something else but he seems to constantly be twitching with his feathers

With Tube feeding you only putting the food into the crop. Will he eat anything? My duck twitch their feathers after bath and when it’s hot. If you can get a video of what you’re seeing him do? You’ll need to put it on YouTube or similar then copy paste it here. If he isn’t eating he should be tube fed.

Last edited:
the antibiotics a vet gave my goose were pink. ducks normally poop out the same colors they eat. miss lydia has given you good advice. When I had an injured duck who would not eat I had to learn how to tube feed her for a few weeks I was afraid at first but once I got the hang of it, it was easy.

Back
Top Bottom