help with meat bird breed

This is a great thread for me, as I'm interested in raising heritage meat birds also. Except I just want to do it for fun/interest, rather than profit. And I'm not in Ireland. Good luck to you!!
I recommend considering this hatchery as they have 2 heritage breeds that they offer that were selectively bred for meat production. They also have some of those free range broiler hybrids which I happen to keeps hens of to breed my heritage breed roosters with to produce my own dinner birds. You may already know about this hatchery but just incase you did not I thought I would share it... that is if you are in the USA.

I am in the USA. Which hatchery are you referring to? Sorry, I scrolled back but didn't see it.

I recommend considering this hatchery as they have 2 heritage breeds that they offer that were selectively bred for meat production. They also have some of those free range broiler hybrids which I happen to keeps hens of to breed my heritage breed roosters with to produce my own dinner birds. You may already know about this hatchery but just incase you did not I thought I would share it... that is if you are in the USA.

@Ridgerunner thats a lot of great info. thank you very much for that. i contacted some show breeders last night. one of the guys thats been doing it for over 20 years was very nice. he said that he doesn't know of anyone selling the breeds i am looking for either. i also got the feeling that people might not sell me chciks from their show buirds incase i decide to show them myself.

he did say he would give me RIR hatching eggs when i told them i would not be interested in showing birds. he told my to go onto face book, like @sumi had said. i dont use facebook much. maybe once every few months. i have been doing all my searching on poultry websites and other classifieds websites.

i had a look on it this morning and found some pages that have breeders. i will let you know how i get on with these.

i have also made contact with the IFA as per @Compost King. i have a feeling that they might not be helpful for the backyard keeper. but its worth a shot.

as @Ridgerunner had recommended, i might get a few of each type chicken breed/cross breed and see what works best on my land and plate.

Back
Top Bottom