Help with mites! I’m not sure if they’re red mites or NF mites?

Well, I’ve dusted all the chickens 7 days apart now, and yesterday I completely stripped the coop and SOAKED it in Sevin spray, let it dry, and then let the chickens back in for the night after dusting all the roosts, nest boxes, floor (any flat surface) with permethrin mite dust. Today I will clean again, dust again, and put down vinyl flooring to make cleaning easier. I got one single mite on me(that I was aware of) in all the cleaning, so the coop itself was definitely not crawling with them. Now I’m wondering (worrying) if Sevin is actually effective against the NFM! Sure hope so.

I notice a number of my birds have bald patches on stern or back, but they didn’t look particularly inflamed when I was dusting them, so maybe it’s just seasonal molting? Lots of loose feathers, too.
I did mine with agricultural vinegar 1 part to 1 part water, added peppermint oil and a cup of dawn soap all in all 2 gallons. Damn near choked myself out. Sprayed everything. Sprayed some our property with seven... it seemed to help. I could tell by the dogs. Crazy thing was after I sprayed and it dried I let the birds out. Some of my older girls hadn't gone in the backyard since all this started, its like they know. They immediately were in the yard and not itching. So its anecdotal, but Seven seemed to help. We have 3 acres and I only sprayed about 1 in total. Just trying to keep them off the dogs. I may try Seven in the coop and enclosure too.
My girls look very similar to what you describe. I have fricking 4 broodies right now too. Nightmare. Headed to the doctor tomorrow to see if they can help me.

The eggs are the problem.I recommend using a microscope to identify the mite!
This site was extremely helpful to me when my chickens got mites a year ago. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry?query=chicken mites
Absolutely! I've seen this. It is very helpful.
We definitely have some sort of tropical fowl mite. I have plenty sitting in the rubber maid cabinet (where all this started) from what I believe was a starling nest. I have dealt with NFM before... these are not the same. They are veracious. I'm still working on trying to get an entomology dept from a college to possibly come out to the property. Sometimes they bring resources with them... if they're interested.

Absolutely! I've seen this. It is very helpful.
We definitely have some sort of tropical fowl mite. I have plenty sitting in the rubber maid cabinet (where all this started) from what I believe was a starling nest. I have dealt with NFM before... these are not the same. They are veracious. I'm still working on trying to get an entomology dept from a college to possibly come out to the property. Sometimes they bring resources with them... if they're interested.
Keeping them in wire cages makes it easy to kill the eggs and mites and treat a few at a time before releasing them in a contained run( until all of them are treated)A hoop coop in a different area of the property may be your only option.

Last edited:
Keeping them in wire cages makes it easy to kill the eggs and mites and treat a few at a time before releasing them in a contained run( until all of them are treated)A hoop coop in a different area of the property may be your only option.
I agree. I've been treating them every 4-7 days for two months. All the things. we've bathed them all, you name it, we've done it. I have them on exzolt right now, which is amazing!
I am now fighting the environment (coop/enclosure/Our whole property) and the fact they have chosen me as a host. I get within 2 feet of one of these things it's on me and biting me. It's a nightmare

I agree. I've been treating them every 4-7 days for two months. All the things. we've bathed them all, you name it, we've done it. I have them on exzolt right now, which is amazing!
I am now fighting the environment (coop/enclosure/Our whole property) and the fact they have chosen me as a host. I get within 2 feet of one of these things it's on me and biting me. It's a nightmare
Yes, I am just heart broken. I love my birds... and now I can barely be around them and when I am I am totally stressed out. I can't believe this happening to this extent. Please know my birds are totally spoiled and my coop & enclosure are very well kept. Cleaned every week for 4 years. Dry and safe. My husband I built the enclosure by hand ($4k on supplies) it's beautiful. Like I said I just can't believe this.

I am now fighting the environment (coop/enclosure/Our whole property) and the fact they have chosen me as a host. I get withini 2 feet of one of these things it's on me and biting me. It's a nightmare
You have to kill the mites soon as they hatch. (Treat hens and coop every 3 days) Waiting 7 days gives them time to have a blood meal and lay more eggs

Back
Top Bottom