Help with my Chicken's (broken?) leg!

Wilco

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
One of my very favorite rockies is not using her leg. I'm not sure what could have happened to her.

She just sits in one place, and won't really get up. I have been able to pick her up, feel her leg and wing, but she does not make any noise as if she is in pain, and I can't feel anything that might make me think "broken".

She is eating and drinking regularly, so she has an appetite. I don't think she even got onto her roost last night, but can't be sure if she couldn't fly, or just couldn't balance. Her bad leg/the leg she is not walking on is totally limp. I can move the toes, leg, etc...

Any suggestions? : (

can you feel her leg? you should be able to feel a break. theres also hips that would make her not walk. she could of sprung it. i would make sure she gets plenty of fluids, and food. are you sure its a leg. some times egg bound and they act funny, but usually with that theres no appitite.

I can't feel a break in the leg. It might be the hip, but she doesn't seem to make noise when I touch it. Last night she was on her roost with her leg sticking off of it, so it is not the wing...... I'm not sure if she is egg bound. I have read if you put them in a warmer, more humid environment/cage that they will pass the egg, but I'm unsure how to check.

sounds like she dislocated it. does she not move her whole leg or can you feel her trying to move it from hips to knee. even if leg is a gonner, she will get used to it and start moving around, but is hard to watch at first.

I would make sure that it is a broken leg first. a broken leg is usually visibly out of position. If it is, I would highly recommend seeing a vet. If this is not possible and it is a broken leg:
Do not set the leg, as this will cause the chicken a great amount of pain if done incorrectly.
If it is not bad, it may heal on its own.
If it seems like it needs more support, then you can make a soft cast out of vetrap.
If it needs even more support, then you can use a piece of garden hose or something of the like to stabilize it on the outside of the vetrap. Secure it with first aid tape.
If it is serious, then you can make a splint:
First, wrap the leg with gauze or vetrap. Get a splint and cut it so it is proportionate to the bird. A splint can be something similar to a popsicle stick. Apply 2 on opposite sides of the leg. Anchor them with first aid tape or vetrap. Change often. The bird should be able to go without after around 2 weeks. If the leg twists with a splint that they walk around in, then you can make a sling. get two pieces of wood and suspend netting or fabric between the pieces of wood. Make holes for the chicken's legs in the fabric. The chicken can be placed in this so the legs will not touch the ground.
-Paraphrased from Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens
Good luck!
smile.png

if she egg bound you would feel hard lump in "egg area" but its not that if she is hanging her leg off the roost like that.definit leg problem. if she doesnt thrash about or make alot of "leave me alone" gestures when you feel her she might of just had a sprain. when you feel from hips down feel with a very good grip, just short of a squeeze that if there was nothing wrong they would give ya noise about. if its leg you should really be able to feel all but small fractures. isnt much fat or muscle in leg to hide it from your feeling it.

Thank you all! I am now on my first full year of having chickens, and learned everything from this site. It must be the hip, but I will check the leg again. It is quite sad to see her just sitting there as she is one of my very favorites. I'm hoping it will heal.....

have you tried putting her food just out of reach and see if she will go to it...isnt much you can really do other then make sure she getting food water she needs and keeping others from pickin on her. if its permament then she will learn to hop, but not if food is delivered right to her,, but all is time, give her few days to heal then move her food n water a few yards away. sorry i know you feel helpless,, but these guyz have lived a long time without us humans messin things up for them lol

Hi Wilco,

I know this thread is old but I'm hoping you can offer an update - about a week ago we discovered the exact same thing was happing with one of our Domis - we've isolated her and keep her fed and watered but we aren't seeing any improvment and I'm not sure what to expect.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom