5 Years
Apr 30, 2018
Nova scotia
Hey everyone just looking for segestions for my new duck house

Its 8x8 with 8 foot walls,

Mostly iam wondering about flooring and ventilation

Iam thinking of making the front lift all wire like this
20190420_120933.jpg

And a 2 foot ish wire window on the back and sides, All with shutters you can close

Plus i got 2 nice exhaust fans, But i might not have to use em.

And what about the floor? Right now its 1inch rough sawn lumber, They used that for flooring for 800 years but what do you put down?

Iam ordering a steel roof tuesday
20190414_122125.jpg
20190414_133703.jpg
20190414_133703.jpg
20190420_120355.jpg

Attachments

• 20190416_184508.jpg
    20190416_184508.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 4
For the past seven years, my coop has had a wooden floor, which I covered with heavy duty black plastic trash bags. Of course there are several quarter-inch holes pre-drilled into the wooden floor. Then 3-4" of chopped straw, and it's done. Every couple of days, I sprinkle in a cover coat of fresh straw.
After a couple of months, I shovel out the damp, used bedding, and start over. The used sloppy bedding, btw, is fantastic as a cover for my tree bases. I just shovel it into the depressions around the trees, and water it well. I becomes a slow release fertilizer, and ALL of my trees are growing famously!!
My coop floor shows very little signs of wear, and I feel that it will go another 10-years.
To all my dear ducky friends, please allow me to wish you a very happy Easter!

I did stick on tiles on my second goose house and I wouldn't use them I had to go back and staple them to the plywood floor after putting them down.
Nice! Its nice to have a surface to be able to realy clean but after pricing vinyl sheets or plywood then vinyl tiles its half of the entire cost of the shed! ill wait and end up finding something perfect for free i always doo

So of anyones ever building something heres a tip thats probably very common knowledge. Metal roofing companys take left over sheets, Anything 30 inches and up.
I got 3 ten footers, 3 four footers, a bag of screws and the strapping for 100$

I just built a house/pen combo 8x12 for 4 ducks. For the floor of the house i used a roll of vinyl flooring i had left over from a kitchen. I also did 24" walls around the perimeter as well and covered then in the vinyl. I caulked the seams with the idea that I can hose out the entire thing without getting the wood wet to keep from rot. Another product i found that's been a life saver for many things is the Flex Seal paint. I used it on the doorways, ramps, and pretty much any wood that i thought they may consistently get wet or poop on.

Here is a pic of the inside when it was about half way done but this is the idea.

27.jpg

Back
Top Bottom