Help with new duck house

:thumbsup
Looking good Jpat!! Luv it.
Thank you!

I don’t blame you, so any given day you can just ride around and find things laying along the road.
Oh yes forsure and iam eagle eyes for ditch jewlery

I love fixing though
Recently i grabbed a wheel barrel with no handles, i used my table saw i found to cut new handles, so new wheel barrel for me

i found a copper pipe one day, i got 65$ at the scrap yard. People dont know the value of things

Dumpster diving is one of my favorite passtimes! I've found a circular saw and a nice rake on the road and a few more tools. I always stop, I'm not proud!

Youd love curbside give away week end. in NS once a year in the spring people put everything they dont want on the curb for the weekend.

last year i found 100$ just in copper scraps

We have used cheap vinyl in all out coops some been down 10 yrs still going strong I use deep litter. Great looking coop @Jpat !!
You mean vynol flooring? Nice and water proof i bet
Thanks!

With the windows your putting in you probably won’t need fans unless it’s going to be sitting out in very high temps?

Its in direct sunline about 8 hours aday but here the highest of highs is 32ish degrees or 90f

Yes roll vinyl it does keep the wood floor dry. In my Runners coop I even have it along the wall up about 2 ft because they like to back their butts up and poop on the wall having vinyl is so easy to keep clean. You may need to use a fan then you’ll just have to see how hot it gets inside I have thermometers inside my coops to keep track.
I will look out for it sounds like just what i need, And your right about the temps

Amazing me how far up the way the ducks crap. I think they laugh about it

Vents don't need to be so big and as long as breezes blow through its fine. I close off the west and North vents in winter.
Theres almost no breeze in the backyard, Its in a valley between the house and trees and almost no wind

Looking good :) I wanted to work on fort duck knox this weekend, but family is in town and I'm told I have to socialize since I'm hosting Easter dinner.

Haha yeah, i live 6 hours away from our family i plan on working on it all through easter !

Thanks, Ajy updates on duck knox?

I call mine the Slanty Shanty but mabye Duckingham palace

With the windows your putting in you probably won’t need fans unless it’s going to be sitting out in very high temps?
Ya, I doubt you'll need the fans in Nova Scotia. It does get hot there but not that hot and not for long. I'd be focusing more on winter shelter aspects of the house. I like that you'll be able to close the shutters when it gets brutal cold. I do like the vinyl floor idea too. I should probably try to do that in mine.

I know you have probably thought about not facing it north or which ever way the cold winter winds blow?

Ya, I doubt you'll need the fans in Nova Scotia. It does get hot there but not that hot and not for long. I'd be focusing more on winter shelter aspects of the house. I like that you'll be able to close the shutters when it gets brutal cold. I do like the vinyl floor idea too. I should probably try to do that in mine.

I know you have probably thought about not facing it north or which ever way the cold winter winds blow?

I havent actualy thaught about not facing north but its a good point!

90 Degrees makes me sick to my stomach

Plus we have 60-90% humidity

I used wood on my duck house floor. It's had ducks living in it about a year. All food and water is kept out of the house and I live in a dry climate. Despite this, it routinely gets wet/damp and I wish I had covered the floor with something more water proof, vinyl peel and stick tiles or something. It's not holding up well as is.
Good point! Not soaked just always damp eh?

Iam thinking of vinyl, Iam keeping my eyes open for people remodeling kitchens. The stick down ones are real cheep but ide need to put plywood down for a nice flatfloor to stick too

90 Degrees makes me sick to my stomach

Plus we have 60-90% humidity

Good point! Not soaked just always damp eh?

Iam thinking of vinyl, Iam keeping my eyes open for people remodeling kitchens. The stick down ones are real cheep but ide need to put plywood down for a nice flatfloor to stick too

Yeah, my duck house never really gets soaked since the water is outside, but it just seems it never dries out 100% either, always damp. I feel like the straw bedding traps some moisture too.

Back
Top Bottom