Help with new duck house

90 Degrees makes me sick to my stomach

Plus we have 60-90% humidity

I used wood on my duck house floor. It's had ducks living in it about a year. All food and water is kept out of the house and I live in a dry climate. Despite this, it routinely gets wet/damp and I wish I had covered the floor with something more water proof, vinyl peel and stick tiles or something. It's not holding up well as is.
Good point! Not soaked just always damp eh?

Iam thinking of vinyl, Iam keeping my eyes open for people remodeling kitchens. The stick down ones are real cheep but ide need to put plywood down for a nice flatfloor to stick too

90 Degrees makes me sick to my stomach

Plus we have 60-90% humidity

Good point! Not soaked just always damp eh?

Iam thinking of vinyl, Iam keeping my eyes open for people remodeling kitchens. The stick down ones are real cheep but ide need to put plywood down for a nice flatfloor to stick too

Yeah, my duck house never really gets soaked since the water is outside, but it just seems it never dries out 100% either, always damp. I feel like the straw bedding traps some moisture too.

For the past seven years, my coop has had a wooden floor, which I covered with heavy duty black plastic trash bags. Of course there are several quarter-inch holes pre-drilled into the wooden floor. Then 3-4" of chopped straw, and it's done. Every couple of days, I sprinkle in a cover coat of fresh straw.
After a couple of months, I shovel out the damp, used bedding, and start over. The used sloppy bedding, btw, is fantastic as a cover for my tree bases. I just shovel it into the depressions around the trees, and water it well. I becomes a slow release fertilizer, and ALL of my trees are growing famously!!
My coop floor shows very little signs of wear, and I feel that it will go another 10-years.

For the past seven years, my coop has had a wooden floor, which I covered with heavy duty black plastic trash bags. Of course there are several quarter-inch holes pre-drilled into the wooden floor. Then 3-4" of chopped straw, and it's done. Every couple of days, I sprinkle in a cover coat of fresh straw.
After a couple of months, I shovel out the damp, used bedding, and start over. The used sloppy bedding, btw, is fantastic as a cover for my tree bases. I just shovel it into the depressions around the trees, and water it well. I becomes a slow release fertilizer, and ALL of my trees are growing famously!!
My coop floor shows very little signs of wear, and I feel that it will go another 10-years.
To all my dear ducky friends, please allow me to wish you a very happy Easter!

I used wood on my duck house floor. It's had ducks living in it about a year. All food and water is kept out of the house and I live in a dry climate. Despite this, it routinely gets wet/damp and I wish I had covered the floor with something more water proof, vinyl peel and stick tiles or something. It's not holding up well as is.
I unloaded all the hay in my deep litter pen yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that there were very few wet spots on the floor and they were very small. I did keep the hay really thick all winter though and it's under the barn roof so it doesn't get rained on. Mine is just plywood on top of pallets. I wonder if stick on tile would stick to plywood? Anyone have experience with that?

I unloaded all the hay in my deep litter pen yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that there were very few wet spots on the floor and they were very small. I did keep the hay really thick all winter though and it's under the barn roof so it doesn't get rained on. Mine is just plywood on top of pallets. I wonder if stick on tile would stick to plywood? Anyone have experience with that?
its meant for plywood! I found stick o tiles o amazon for 15$ for 20 tiles!

I did stick on tiles on my second goose house and I wouldn't use them I had to go back and staple them to the plywood floor after putting them down.
Nice! Its nice to have a surface to be able to realy clean but after pricing vinyl sheets or plywood then vinyl tiles its half of the entire cost of the shed! ill wait and end up finding something perfect for free i always doo

So of anyones ever building something heres a tip thats probably very common knowledge. Metal roofing companys take left over sheets, Anything 30 inches and up.
I got 3 ten footers, 3 four footers, a bag of screws and the strapping for 100$

Do you have places there where you can buy second hand things here at Habitat for humanity we got windows for one of our coops but you might try something like that or a remnant? Or high gloss paint.

Yes we do! We have 5 within distance and i visit all of them once a month. I have never seen construction materials at any ever, Guess its not something people here think to donate.

Iam probably going to shellac the floor, i know paint would be fine but shellac is almost all natural and wont flake

Back
Top Bottom