Help with possible illness

CoopersCoopNC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Hello All,

This bird was brought to me today as a rescue. I have it quarantined from my flock. Another poster said that it appears (from the pictures) that there is something wrong with this bird. Droopy eyes...she did seem to want to "sleep" today, but I figured it was from all the excitement she had last night (she was taken from a local crime scene - I believe it was a drug bust).

Unfortunately, I am a novice chicken "Mommy" and am learning as I go along, but a friend believes that I know everything, since I have hens and she brought this one to me and I want to try to do what I can for it.

I'm pretty sure this is a Bantam, but I know nothing else. Thank you in advance.

that is a bantam, shes a nice looking chook btw. Keeping her quarantineed is a good idea, also worming her, powdering for lice etc is a good idea also. Whats her weight like? Good on you for taking in the rescue hen :)

I will have to check her poop, but she was not eating/drinking in the short time I was with her. I assumed that she was just in an agitated state due to her circumstances (spent the night in the policman's bathroom, until she got some sleep and could bring her to the farm).

Thank you for your help...I will run by Tractor Supply this morning and pick up the Corid and some Wazine (wormer).

Love this site!!

SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or equine paste would be better for worming since it gets more than roundworms. Dosage is a peas sized amount of the paste or 1/2 ml of the liquid. Coccidiosis poops can be diarrhea or bloody, depending on the strain.

I picked up some Safeguard paste, too. Some of the other threads said to use Wazine first and follow up with something else. Surprisingly her poops looked OK. No blood, light brown, and a little loose.

My biggest concern is feeding her. She doesn't seem to know how to eat crumbles, or she doesn't like them. I've given her a little scratch, some Chicken treat mix containing seeds, and uncooked oatmeal; as far as I can tell she hasn't eaten that either.

I broke down and bought some fishing crickets, which she tore up. :)

Hopefully, I can spend a little more time with her tomorrow (I wasn't expecting a rescue this weekend. :-/)

Thank you all for your help! :)

It could be that she hasn't had chicken feed before. You can try adding some water to make it like oatmeal. Most chickens love that and soft scrambled eggs, although they won't eat things sometimes unless they have had them before, or they are brave enough to try some. With coccidiosis, they stop eating because of a sore belly.

Thank you all for the support. She/he (we're not sure yet) seems to be feeling more secure. The poops look good (no blood), but I am giving her Wazine right now and then will follow with the Safeguard, just in case. She's a friendly little bantam and loves to be held and perch on your shoulder. Yesterday I got to spend more time with her and she ate oatmeal, "Here Chick" (grains), and took some pecks out of a 1/2 peach. She did not like the scrambled eggs...go figure. I saw her actively drinking water, too, so I feel better about her eating. Now, to figure out if it's a boy or a girl.
idunno.gif

Oh I'm pretty sure she is a hen. I have an OEG or old English game hen who looks like her, but a different color. They come in different colors. Yours could be another breed such as a Dutch or Japanese bantam as well. Many chickens won't touch eggs the first time they are fed, but keep trying.

bbbroegstdroo.jpg

Black Breasted Brown Red Old English Game Fowl Standard Chicken Rooster
bbbroegstdhen.jpg

Black Breasted Brown Red Old English Game Fowl Standard Chicken Hen

Black Breasted Brown Red Old English Game Fowl Standard chicks

Dutch_Bantam_Pullet.jpg
Copy_of_grey_japanese_bantam_hen.jpg

Dutch bantam Japanese bantam

Last edited:
That's good if she is eating and drinking well, sometimes it takes a while for them to get used to new things and foods. I agree its a hen/ pullet

Back
Top Bottom