Help with run roof please! I am lost!

BeccaaStancil

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2016
Alabama
Okay... we have a 20x20’ dog kennel run attached to our 12x16’ coop. We are struggling in two areas. Before I say anything else I would like to note that we would like to avoid a wooden frame just because of the price of wood right now. If there are any options using pipe or pvc or anything other than wood that would be greatly appreciated! We do not get snow very often at all and when we do it is usually barely a dusting so snow loads aren’t a worry for this roof. I am in AL.

Firstly, we are covering the top with wire to keep predators out. We need a brace or something for the wire to lay on top of to keep it from drooping so bad, and maybe something to also act as a brace for the panels? Since the run is so large the panels aren’t as sturdy as we would like.

Secondly, we need help on building a roof. We want to build a 10x20 lean-to type deal up against the coop so 1/2 the run is protected from rain. The coop is already sitting on a downhill slope so the water running into the other 1/2 of the run should run off pretty quickly... or would it be best to cover the whole thing? How in the world do we build this! Please help! I will post pictures of our current setup once it’s daylight. Thankyou in advance!

Last edited:
OK, my thoughts. I just use bird netting on the top of my chicken run to prevent attacks from hawks and Bald Eagles. You might not need to build a roof over your run. My chickens will stay out in a light rain and seem to enjoy it. If it starts to rain hard, they go back into the chicken coop for shelter.

Another option instead of a roof over the chicken run is to build something inside the coop that the chickens can hide under if it rains. I used some pallets and made a bin, with half of the top covered. That provides shade, mostly, but sometimes the chickens will huddle under the pallet "roof" to get out of the rain.

I have seen some chicken run setups where they use a tarp as a roof. If you only need to shed water, then build the frame at an angle where you want the water to drain off.

Some people use cattle panel hoop houses and throw plastic over the panels. Keeps the rain off and you don't have to commit to an expensive roof system.

Where I live, in northern Minnesota, I have to be concerned about winter snow load. So if I make any roof, it gets to be very expensive very fast.

Use corrugated roofing panel, it's easy to put together and the price is reasonable. You can also attach the panels on pvc pipes and hoist it into place, then secure it to where you need it.

I don't know much about working with it, but some people use metal conduit for this kind of thing.

You can use a heavy-duty tarp as a roof but in your climate (which is my climate too), beware the translucent corrugated panels -- they'll turn the run into a rotisserie. Also, beware Ondura because it's heavy and doesn't hold up to sun and weather.

Metal is a good option, especially if you can find it on Craigslist.

Without having seen photos, which could change my mind, I suggest that you cover part of the run and leave part open. I always like to give my chickens choices and I have found them out foraging in the run between the rain bands during tropical storms.

If water is running into the run across the ground you'll need to dig diversions ditches or install grass swales to redirect the water. If it's running into the run off nearby buildings you need to fix that with guttering.

I don't know much about working with it, but some people use metal conduit for this kind of thing.

You can use a heavy-duty tarp as a roof but in your climate (which is my climate too), beware the translucent corrugated panels -- they'll turn the run into a rotisserie. Also, beware Ondura because it's heavy and doesn't hold up to sun and weather.

Metal is a good option, especially if you can find it on Craigslist.

Without having seen photos, which could change my mind, I suggest that you cover part of the run and leave part open. I always like to give my chickens choices and I have found them out foraging in the run between the rain bands during tropical storms.

If water is running into the run across the ground you'll need to dig diversions ditches or install grass swales to redirect the water. If it's running into the run off nearby buildings you need to fix that with guttering.

Attachments

• 05334742-E679-46E1-ACF1-BAAC5684A07A.jpeg
    05334742-E679-46E1-ACF1-BAAC5684A07A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • ADE29EB6-BB3C-46F3-B3AB-84BE5EEF3EC4.jpeg
    ADE29EB6-BB3C-46F3-B3AB-84BE5EEF3EC4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
this is our current setup! they are in there with no roof because i’m home to watch them but i want this done so they will be safe. we have wire buried along the bottom and will be wrapping the walls with cloth wire

this is our current setup! they are in there with no roof because i’m home to watch them but i want this done so they will be safe. we have wire buried along the bottom and will be wrapping the walls with cloth wire

I can't remember who has a similar setup with a shorter fence like that and netting raised to a height that lets a person walk in it.

Their solution was tall T-posts fastened to the fence posts and wooden center supports to hold their netting up.

A "porch" built off the coop would make a good partial cover to give them the option to get wet or stay dry.

I'd make a ridge beam in the middle of the run from the coop to the far edge of the run. Then metal roof panels 12' long to go from the ridge beam to the run fence. I'd probably use metal "T” posts to stabilize the dog fence. Definitely put a anti dig apron 2' out along the bottom of the run, and a few feet up the dog fence to deter reach through attacks.

Get a roll of 4x150 poultry wire from home depot. Overlap existing fence by a ft. Sides are now 7 ft tall. take a 1/4” rope & pull it taught from corner to corner opposite in both directions. Then buy the good deer fencing roll, i think mine came from lowes… its a 7 X 100 roll. Drape it across the ropes and secure it to the top of the sides. under 200 bucks you hsve a roof & taller sides. mine is 25x25 & thats what i did,, does not hold ice, snow, and keeps hawks out. Just make sure it’s the thicker deer netting & not the one in the pack Doubled over, or looks like a blanket pouch.

Back
Top Bottom