help with sexing Khaki Campbell.

Thank you so much for coming back to me with further tips on sexing my - ahem - GIRLS. The sound recording I linked to is a page, I wonder if embedding the sound file will work better? It's quite a long recording but you hear them all from a few seconds in...

https://ia801509.us.archive.org/28/items/aporee_29296_33713/11082015ducksingarden.mp3

I've not noticed any green shine to Pretzel's head - but she had raggedy feathers at the ends of her wings when she arrived which I thought meant she had been hassled by a drake when she was on the farm? They have been growing back beautifully since she has been here in the gang... but she does have slightly darker colouring on her webbed feet and now I'm wondering if she was hassled for being a younger male!!!

Let me see if I have a picture of Bonbon's head for you... here you go. Bonbon standing beside Pretzel.

Quote:
That's very reassuring - my ducks are always chuntering away between themselves, making noises, cheeping, peeping, and sometimes some very loud quacks!

Thanks for writing back. I guess I just need to sit tight and wait until eggs happen or not which is the real test I suppose!

Last edited:
I agree with jducour that it's difficult to tell from these pics. Can you get some from the side in good light like the ones you posted right after you got them? I'm thinking they all look and sound like females, but I'd like to get a better look at their heads and feet.

Sorry, these aren't great either - it has rained lots here recently and the grey light is hard for taking good pictures! Must admit though, I'd describe Pretzel as a dingy brown colour and haven't picked up on any green in her colouring...

Thanks - this is very reassuring!

I revisited the website for the farm from which we got Honey, Bonbon and Pretzel and it seems they only sell female ducks so that is quite reassuring too though I suppose there could be some mistakes - it seems that it's hard to sex ducks until they grow a bit!

http://www.longdownfarm.co.uk/index.php?page=ducks

I haven't managed to get any photos of them stretching to full height and flapping their wings, but you can really see the Indian Runner Duck genes when they do and looking at other KCs on here, I'm fairly sure they are the real deal, though I do remember seeing some in an auction that were a dirtier brownish colour than this lot...

Thanks for your help, sorry my photos aren't very good!

Thanks - this is very reassuring!

I revisited the website for the farm from which we got Honey, Bonbon and Pretzel and it seems they only sell female ducks so that is quite reassuring too though I suppose there could be some mistakes - it seems that it's hard to sex ducks until they grow a bit!

http://www.longdownfarm.co.uk/index.php?page=ducks

I haven't managed to get any photos of them stretching to full height and flapping their wings, but you can really see the Indian Runner Duck genes when they do and looking at other KCs on here, I'm fairly sure they are the real deal, though I do remember seeing some in an auction that were a dirtier brownish colour than this lot...

Thanks for your help, sorry my photos aren't very good!
Probably purebred then. The coloring made me wonder if something else might be mixed in, but people breeding for farm and pet use usually don't do as much about breeding to maintain standard coloring because they're not being bred for show. I think they're quite pretty. KCs are also very subject to fading if they spend much time in the sun.

Your photos came out better than mine usually do. My ducks almost always refuse to let me get a decent pic.

I have 5 Ducks, 2 Buff girls and a Buff boy. I also took in 2 Campbells. They both appear to be boys BUT one of them is laying an egg the only noticable difference is one has more of a blue green bill and one more yellow.

So
I have 5 Ducks, 2 Buff girls and a Buff boy. I also took in 2 Campbells. They both appear to be boys BUT one of them is laying an egg the only noticable difference is one has more of a blue green bill and one more yellow.
sorry, those are both drakes. Maybe someone else is laying eggs? They have green heads and drake curls.

I was wondering if anyone could help me sex my pet duck. The duck is about 20 weeks old. Since I am only new to having ducks I am unsure on the sex :(

Back
Top Bottom