ninja333pirate

Songster
Aug 3, 2020
Pacific Northwest, WA
So I have a silkie I found yesterday that started with swollen eyes and some yellow gunk on the inside of the beak where the nares are. A few hours later the inside of the beak swelled up and the throat seems to be swollen too and she has mucus coming from her eyes and nose but it is not crusty. I pried open her eyes to look inside and it just looks like a bunch of swollen tissue, I could not see any pus. she also keeps coughing and sputtering when she drinks her water once in a while.

She cant see to eat or drink, so I have been offering her water with nutri drench and raw egg. she can get liquid down but I have not tried anything more solid then raw egg water for fear she chokes on it. I have been rinsing her eyes out with saline and putting terramycin in her eyes and wiping off her eyes and nose. I also have been putting Vetrx in her water and rubbing it all over her head and behind her wings.

None of my other chickens have been showing signs of any illness. Not even the chicks she has been raising for the past 4 weeks. (I was so proud of her as she took in 2 week old chicks. She also was eating and drinking well (made sure her and the chicks had access to food separate from the rest. I got her from someone else a few months ago along with another chicken (I quarantined them for 30 days) and the other chicken I got from the same person does not seem sick either.

Does anyone know of any Vets in Washington (Skagit county area) that do in house lab work to test what might be wrong with her? or any place I can send a sample too (without her dying) to test? From what I have read It could be coryza or Mycoplasma, or even poultry pox (been having mosquitoes a lot this year). I am dreading it being either coryza or mycoplasma because I dont want to have a permanently diseased flock.

If anyone has any advice let me know. I am stumped. I will try and get pictures later, I need a hand to get the picture of the inside of the mouth.

It's most likely MG as you suspect. Both your broody and her chicks need to be on an antibiotic right away. It's probably too late to hope the rest of the flock hasn't been exposed.

See if your state will permit this company to ship to you. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=035FD4E3-0F31-42DB-B7C3-801717222025 This is a good med to treat MG and it goes into the broody's drinking water so it's easy to treat the chicks as well.

It's most likely MG as you suspect. Both your broody and her chicks need to be on an antibiotic right away. It's probably too late to hope the rest of the flock hasn't been exposed.

See if your state will permit this company to ship to you. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=035FD4E3-0F31-42DB-B7C3-801717222025 This is a good med to treat MG and it goes into the broody's drinking water so it's easy to treat the chicks as well.
The sucky thing is if it is that, I wanted to breed my chickens, so I would have to cull my entire flock if they are all infected and start from scratch ☹️ I was hoping it was just fowl pox and that it was caught soon enough that it had not spread.

So I have a silkie I found yesterday that started with swollen eyes and some yellow gunk on the inside of the beak where the nares are. A few hours later the inside of the beak swelled up and the throat seems to be swollen too and she has mucus coming from her eyes and nose but it is not crusty. I pried open her eyes to look inside and it just looks like a bunch of swollen tissue, I could not see any pus. she also keeps coughing and sputtering when she drinks her water once in a while.
Can you get some photos of her and the inside of her beak?

It would be good to get some testing.

Good suggestions/info from @azygous

Yea I plan on getting some pictures here soon, just was waiting on some help so I can get a picture of inside her mouth. And as I told @azygous I dont have 100 to spare, since I jist spend $800+ on surgery to remove a tumor from my dogs but, and if I spend that then I cant get antibiotics for her.

Another thing to mention is she doesn't smell bad, and she isn't coughing or sneezing, she just has a hard time breathing because the swollen throat, and coughs when I give her water to keep it out of her trachea. I did get some aspirin in her today hoping it would help with swelling and help her be in less pain.

Here are her pictures:
inside the beak, its yellower then it looks in this picture.
sick chicken 5.jpg

And here are her eyes and face in general, she has been spilling her water a littler on her bib and I have wiped it down with water and vetrx (figured the oil will help it be a little water proof along with breathing)
sick chicken 6.jpg
sick chicken 4.jpg
sick chicken 3.jpg

and here is her neck, it appears she has some yellow sores on her neck along with other bumps on her neck, this is why (along with the yellow in her mouth) that I think it could have been fowl pox (I have been having problems with mosquitoes where I live lately)
sick chicken.jpg
sick chicken 2.jpg

I also noticed she has a scab/crusty lesion on her crop that has some yellow to it as well. I just ordered a tube and syringe for force feeding her as she has lost a lot of weight, for now I have been using an eye dropper and shoving it as far down her esophagus as I could and feeding her a high calorie meal and giving her aspirin.

These folks will send you the testing materials and do a test to find out if it's MG. Zoologix Inc 9811 Owensmouth Ave, STE 4, Chatsworth, CA, 91311-9547 818-717-8880 www.zoologix.com This test is around $100.
So I found a place in my state that can test for many things, besides coryza and MG, what would you suggest I have them test for? just want to cover my bases to see what this might be. I have too many chickens to keep (been growing some out to send to the auction and have some to send to my boyfriends flock) but if they have something like MG then I have to just cull extras to reduce numbers. I just want to make sure it is something like that before doing that though.

Back
Top Bottom