HELP! Wry neck baby now gasping for air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alewis74, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Alewis74

Alewis74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    4 day old baby chicken with wry neck.I have had her inside under a heat lamp giving her electrolyte water. She hasn't eaten. She was really perky this morjing. Now she is limp and gasping for air! What can I do to save her???

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do your electrolytes have vitamins? Dip her beak into the electrolyte water as often as possible today. Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell vitamins are good for chicks in stress, and contain vitamin E and selenium for wry neck, as well as other vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. Dosage of those is 1 ml per every 3 pounds.

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    or sav-a-chick
    or poly-vi-sol without iron (baby vitamins)

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    can it walk? what is the temp in the brooder? can it escape the heat the lamp is putting out??

5. Alewis74

Alewis74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks all. She died shortly after I posted. I was giving her Sav-a-chick with electrolytes. Tractor Supply did not have the polyvisol. Crazy thing is that she was all perky and loud just 9 hours before. I was so hopeful because she was holding her head up and standing. Then I came home from work and she was just limp and gasping for air.

6. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    so sorry!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i wonder if something happened while you were at work, maybe one of the other chicks decided to do a chick pile on top of it

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost her. When they show stress at such a young age, even treating them with fluids and vitamins continuosly by dipping their beaks, it may be already too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by