1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Wry Neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BravewingTheHen, Dec 31, 2013.

1. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
    Hello. I have a white Silkie hen who has Wry Neck. I have been giving her Vitamin E Oil and a special poultry medicine. I know she could have had a head injury, as she did fall off the roost at one point. But I really don't want to lose her to something I could have helped her through. Any cure ideas? She is getting quite bad and I'm really worried.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I have been treating a little Silkie cockeral for about 5 weeks now. I tried to just go the vitamin only route but finally broke down and went to the vet for some prednisone. A week later I am finally seeing tiny bits of improvement. He can now stand up and can keep his head upright for eating longer than he used to be able to. Make sure that you are keeping your little hen hydrated and ensure she is getting enough to eat. I have been mixing half chick starter/grower and half scrambled egg with a little water so it is slightly wet and feeding my little guy as much as he wants 3 times a day--it is usually around a quarter of cup but then he is only 13 weeks old and only weighs one pound.

I have been using this treatment plan for the past week. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

I am sorry you are going through this too. [​IMG] I have found it to be an extremely frustrating condition to treat because I don't know if he will ever recover enough to have a decent quality of life. It is hard to keep treating him when there is no sign of it getting better and I wonder if I am just prolonging the inevitable. I am going to give the prednisone another two weeks and make a decision on his future then. I am just hoping that he keeps showing improvement because after spending so much time with him I have grown very attached to the little guy.

I hope your hen makes a speedy recovery like so many that I have read about have. Best wishes.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

How old is your little chicken ???????

Try these Vitamins it is called a hardboiled egg just peal mash real good with fork and serve ....

Try this every other day for three egg's ...........

5. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    How is your little hen doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by