Help!

missbrit2006

Chirping
Mar 31, 2015

Will this chick be ok?

Hi I had a cross beak live a fine life. However there are steps you want to take to help out. I had to trim the overgrowth of the beak every two months sometime more often when she was growing. if you dont, the cross beak can become so severe she might not be able to eat normally and it will continue to worsen. I can't stress this next point enough, START WHILE THE BIRD IS YOUNG. Do not cut too deep as to draw blood but only trim the excess growth off. always keep a eye on her weight and supplement her with soft foods such as mash and oatmeal. she may be able to eat the regular feed but the thing is can she get ENOUGH of the feed with her disability. it took me some time to learn mine needed supplement because I always saw her eat. Thing is she wasn't getting the quality she needed. you also might want to use vitamin supplements for her. Most of the time this IS A GENETIC issue and be aware she might be prone to other issues caused by genetics. a example is mine got wry neck twice. First time I was able to bring her back. Second time the treatment did nothing because her issue wasn't lack of vitamin it was genetic. And very sadly that's how I finally lost her as a adult. This does NOT mean your bird will get a second condition . I'm just saying it could be possible and something to watch for. otherwise she will be able to live the life of a normal chicken. she will lay eggs and have a full life.just help her out by doing these few things and she will be fine. I really hope this helps you out. I loved my special girl so much and greatly miss her! I'm sure yours will be just fine. :)

I had a silkie with cross beak, she wasn't hindered by it, we trimmed her a few times in her life. It does depend on how severe it is and every bird handles it differently.

She will also need to eat and drink out of deep dishes, and won't be able to eat some items at all. Trimming her beak can help sometimes. If it's a male, a nice life and 'freezer camp' is the best plan. If a pullet, don't hatch any of her eggs. It will be difficult to keep her well fed. Mary

Hi are they displaying any other symptoms? ruffled feathers? loose stool? excessive sleepiness? are the bites in the chick food small enough for them to be able to eat? have you tried switching brands? when my silkies were babies I bought a food that None of them would eat. it was a mash. Then I switched to regular chick feed and they ate just fine. watch their behavior and see if you notice anything "off" .Coccidosis is usually what the young chicks get. it CAN be present without bloody stool. so knowing bloody stool is not always present have they been lethergic at all? are they still drinking? Any sign of illness at all? it would be really hard to guess exactly what the problem is without more clues. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Will this chick be ok?
That is a pretty seriously crossed 'cross beak' -- You may want to put " cross beak chick" in the search box in the upper left . It is a cute chick though.
some things I have heard of ar putting some rubber bands on the beak to help align (could be dangerous if it limits the function of an already limited beak. I had one once with a very slight cross beak -- and I filed some of her upper beak away -- and she grew up to be a good layer.

hope that you will get some good answers from the forum here. Good luck

I Agree. mine was pretty severe so trimming was a MUST. I just did small amounts at a time with sharp nail clippers. But mine needed trimiming Regularly.I mostly trimmed the TOP beak but a few times the lower was done as well to help her alignment. use your best judgment when trimming. more likely than not it will be top beak only. Hope this helps :)

Hatch some baby chicks 12 days ago. They have just about quit eating. I have ground up feed and bought done different kinds all starter feed. I worked and retired from a poultry company and survice thousands of baby chicks jut never saw this. There heat is good and there drinking water. By the way these are silkie chicks. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

There drinking just seem to be real show about eating. They seem like there hungry I made done toast and they eat it up. I got 3 different kinds of feed they don't seem to like ,????thanks

What I did for my fussy chicks was spread feed on the ground of the brooder. The feed bounced on the ground and they chased after it and ate it

Back
Top Bottom