Help

sick chicken

• Total voters
I don't even know if she (the hen that died today) has been laying or not but since we don't know how she died will the eggs be ok from the rest of the flock?
Again, most all sick chickens show signs of a problem---before they get sick enough to die without treatment. Signs might be staying away from the rest---staying in a corner, runny nose, coughing, way under weight, etc, etc, etc. Always take a few to watch your chickens actions. Its good to go in the coop at night say once a month with a dim light and feel your chickens---pick them up---check for weight, check for "bugs". The only egg bound chicken I have ever had weighed about twice as much as the rest----she got to where she could not even get on the roost poles.

The eggs will be fine.

If you are not going to send her off for a necropsy and you are not squeamish, you could cut her open yourself and take a look and photograph what you find, so that we can perhaps help you figure it out. I can give you some guidance if you decide you want to do this, with links to videos etc.

Chickens will do their best to appear normal until they are too weak to do so, so it is possible that she has been ill for a while and you didn't notice or it could have been quite sudden. I have seen sick birds pecking and scratching with the flock on numerous occasions but when you watch closely they are picking up and dropping the same bit of food without eating it. I have a multi-coloured mixed breed flock so it is much easier to keep tabs on them as individuals. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to single out an individual if you have several or all of them are the same breed.

I would not be concerned about eating eggs from the others.

Again, most all sick chickens show signs of a problem---before they get sick enough to die without treatment. Signs might be staying away from the rest---staying in a corner, runny nose, coughing, way under weight, etc, etc, etc. Always take a few to watch your chickens actions. Its good to go in the coop at night say once a month with a dim light and feel your chickens---pick them up---check for weight, check for "bugs". The only egg bound chicken I have ever had weighed about twice as much as the rest----she got to where she could not even get on the roost poles.

The eggs will be fine.
Thank you for the advice!!

If you are not going to send her off for a necropsy and you are not squeamish, you could cut her open yourself and take a look and photograph what you find, so that we can perhaps help you figure it out. I can give you some guidance if you decide you want to do this, with links to videos etc.

Chickens will do their best to appear normal until they are too weak to do so, so it is possible that she has been ill for a while and you didn't notice or it could have been quite sudden. I have seen sick birds pecking and scratching with the flock on numerous occasions but when you watch closely they are picking up and dropping the same bit of food without eating it. I have a multi-coloured mixed breed flock so it is much easier to keep tabs on them as individuals. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to single out an individual if you have several or all of them are the same breed.

I would not be concerned about eating eggs from the others.
Thank you so much for all advice. I will give an update by Friday to see if anything happens to the rest of them!! Of course I'm praying all will be fine though! :)

Back
Top Bottom