Help!

Lavkid

Chirping
Mar 11, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
He was fine this morning then now is not. Went pale, won't move, and puffed up. The others are starting to show signs of puffing up but still acting normal. Any ideas? I can find his crop. Wen I lift him a little his legs are shaking.
15244340144101706590203.jpg

I've never seen that before. I'd say separate him and make sure he's drinking and eating. Get some Nutri Drench or electrolytes in him if you have any. Maybe you could try doing some research? I'm so sorry!

Last edited:
I've got another starting to act unbalanced. I have him separated but no luck on eating or drinking. Lost 2 others this way too and still searching and calling for help. Grrrr

I would get some Corid and start treatment ASAP for coccidiosis. It's available at most feed stores, look in the livestock/cattle section. Either powder or liquid form, either will work. Chart below with dosing info, and a link to drench dosage. The drench can be given to sick/weak birds that are not drinking on their own in addition to the dosing in the water. Treat them all, it's very safe. Use the severe outbreak dose.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

What's is the difference between the 20% powder and the 9.6% solution
I would get some Corid and start treatment ASAP for coccidiosis. It's available at most feed stores, look in the livestock/cattle section. Either powder or liquid form, either will work. Chart below with dosing info, and a link to drench dosage. The drench can be given to sick/weak birds that are not drinking on their own in addition to the dosing in the water. Treat them all, it's very safe. Use the severe outbreak dose.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
View attachment 1351381
?

What's is the difference between the 20% powder and the 9.6% solution

?
The difference is in the concentration of medication, which is why the dosing is different for each. Either will work equally effectively at the correct dose. Some stores carry only one form, some will carry both, so get whichever is available, it doesn't matter.

For him to go down that quickl, I agree coccidiosis is a strong possibility. Please also examine him for external parasites and to make sure his crop is emptying overnight. Will he eat and more importantly, drink on his own?
He passed over night, wouldn't eat or drink sadly. But i fear for the rest of my chicks living in the same area so i will start the process of medicating them. I am already fighting respiratory issues in my flock so they are getting tylan 50. but this was something new and i don't want it spreading. He didn't have mite or parasites on him though so i will shoot for internal damage. Hopefully i catch it in time with the others.

Those that survive and recover from coccidiosis will build resistance to it (which ever strains they've been exposed to), but with the respiratory issues also, that can weaken the birds immune system leaving them susceptible. I just keep Corid on hand always now so that I have it when needed and can start treatment right away if I see symptoms. Young birds and birds weakened by something else are most susceptible, but it can happen to any. Your respiratory issues may be chronic, depends on what exactly is going on, and symptoms may recur. I wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom