TinaMarieofFL

Songster
5 Years
Apr 29, 2018
Hilliard, FL
I have a 18 month old Americauna that is lethargic and not eating well. She did not fuss AT ALL when I picked her up. She also seem very thin. I am a beginner at chickens so am looking for advice. She was laying around all day yesterday so I suspected perhaps she was egg bound. (she is also in a light mount) I did the Epsom's salt soak twice yesterday. Her vent is not swollen or red. I kept her confined in the garage overnight, fully expecting to find her dead. Thank God she is still alive. There was no sign of eggs or ANY waste matter. I have her in the house this morning, confined to the laundry room. She seems a tad better. However, I was in with her to watch to any other symptoms, I witnessed her defecate/urinate. It was large and mostly urine. Since that episode, she was defecated/urinated small amounts.
Of interest, I noted that she was drinking a lot. I read somewhere that it could be a clogged croup (?) so I put some olive oil in the water. I observed that after drinking water, she went to eat and it looked as though the water poured out of her mouth.
She is currently walking around a bit, which she didn't do at all yesterday. I am very worried about her. My vet doesn't treat chickens. Can anyone out there give me some information or advice? Can I emphasize how worried I am? I want to save her but I also don't want her to suffer needlessly. Help!

18 month old Americauna that is lethargic and not eating well.

She was laying around all day yesterday so I suspected perhaps she was egg bound. (she is also in a light mount) I did the Epsom's salt soak twice yesterday. Her vent is not swollen or red.

There was no sign of eggs or ANY waste matter.

I witnessed her defecate/urinate. It was large and mostly urine. Since that episode, she was defecated/urinated small amounts.

Of interest, I noted that she was drinking a lot. I read somewhere that it could be a clogged croup (?) so I put some olive oil in the water. I observed that after drinking water, she went to eat and it looked as though the water poured out of her mouth.
I'm sorry that your hen is not well :hugs
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
Water coming back out of the beak does sound like she is having some crop issues. Sometimes this is a symptom of any underlying condition, but regardless, treating the crop will be important.
Feel of her crop and let us know what that is like - hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled, doughy, smelly breath, etc. The links below will help you determine which type of crop issue she may have, but we will help.
Make water available for her, but I would withhold food. I like to give mine 1tsp of coconut oil (refrigerate it, then break up into bite size pieces), see if she will eat that on her own.

Have you felt inside her vent for an egg? Also feel her abdomen between the legs below the vent - is there any bloat or feeling of fluid?

Let us know how she's doing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Thank you Wyorp Rock. I checked her crop (after I YouTubed what and where a crop was). No swelling. Her whole chest area feels boney, I think. My first time raising chickens so not really familiar with what she should feel like. I am imagining what it should feel like (in relation to the chicken breasts I have eaten in the past). Her breath doesn't seem to be smelly. I will try the coconut oil method. Haven taken some photos but having trouble uploading them. Will keep trying. Again, thank you so much...

Thanks for the info. I will try to upload on my other computer.
I located her crop and massaged it while I gave her an Epsom soak. She had just eaten so I didn't try to make her regurgitate. It felt squishy with some graininess, which I attributed to her having just eaten. Also felt her abdomen which had a slight lump. Seemed too small to be an egg, maybe poo? She is sitting on a perch and walking around a bit which is so much more than she was doing.
Her poo is normal color but a little watery. Her comb is still drooped. She had lost some feathers, which I attributed to moult but the skin is quite red looking. Could it be a parasite? I am going to dust her with diatomaceous earth in a little bit.
I went out and felt my other hens this morning, they all seem to be boney in the chest area, too. Their crops were empty (it was still dark so no one had eaten yet) Going to offer coconut oil today.

Also felt her abdomen which had a slight lump. Seemed too small to be an egg, maybe poo? She is sitting on a perch and walking around a bit which is so much more than she was doing.

She had lost some feathers, which I attributed to moult but the skin is quite red looking. Could it be a parasite?
Did the egg you felt seem like it was low in the abdomen?

I just palpated her abdomen again, no longer has a lump. She seems fairly happy now, clucking and all...
I put the frozen coconut oil out for her.

It seems that @Wyorp Rock has provided some sound advice (as per usual:wee) as long as she is eating, drinking, and pooping well I wouldnt be too concerned. The first molt can be rough on them. You can provide her some extra protein once the poop is less watery. If it has been very hot or they have too much protein you can get watery poops. Try providing her a scrambled egg and see if you notice further improvement. You could also put her on the feather fixer diet to help through the molt. Best of luck!

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I has been hot and humid. (Northeastern Florida at the state line) Could you suggest a source of "extra protein"? I offered her some high protein cat food but she hasn't shown any interest.

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I has been hot and humid. (Northeastern Florida at the state line) Could you suggest a source of "extra protein"? I offered her some high protein cat food but she hasn't shown any interest.
Scrambled eggs, feather fixer, vitamins. For days when its really hot you can give them some frozen fruit to help them cool off. You could also put some ice in their water.

Back
Top Bottom