Help!

Skyler vaughan

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
My chicken who is quite old, has just come out of her coop with a large lump on the side of her neck. I picked her up as recently she had hurt her feet so I check on her regularly, and the lump moves from side to side. My mum helped and gently messaged her neck to see if it was a knot in her neck and she started to throw up yellow goo, (shocked because chickens can’t throw up). I haven’t seen her eat or drink and I’m not sure what to do, please help!!

Welcome to BYC @Skyler vaughan sorry you are having troubles.
How old is the bird, in months or years?

Is the lump on the right side(her right) of her chest just below the neck?
Guessing very full crop and moving it made the contents come out.
upload_2019-9-15_7-38-7.png

Welcome to BYC @Skyler vaughan sorry you are having troubles.
How old is the bird, in months or years?

Is the lump on the right side(her right) of her chest just below the neck?
Guessing very full crop and moving it made the contents come out.
View attachment 1908436
She must be around 5 years old, I’m not certain but I know it isn’t the crop, others have told me it could be wry neck? She moves her head a lot and looks quite uncomfortable, a bit like it’s doing it on its own. And I think I may have picked her up too fast after she had drank, we’ve given her molasses mixed in water and vitamin E so I’m hoping she’ll improve by tomorrow

Do some research on sour crop and impacted crop. Did the yellow material smell sour or bad?
It smelt bad but it wasn’t pungent, she also “threw up” again later on, but this time it was just water. I do think there’s something wrong with her neck as her head is pointed to the right side and the lump is on the left, it moves sometimes.

Could you post a couple of pictures of what you are seeing?
Is the lump on the side of her neck soft or firm? Does it feel like air under the skin? Sometimes an air sac can be ruptured from a bump or injury, and air can leak under the skin. The crop is usually on the chicken’s right side upper chest, although it can sometimes be on the left.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Is the lump on the side of her neck soft or firm? Does it feel like air under the skin? Sometimes an air sac can be ruptured from a bump or injury, and air can leak under the skin. The crop is usually on the chicken’s right side upper chest, although it can sometimes be on the left.
Yes, she’s old so she does look a bit withered, it’s been 2 days of feeding her molasses and vitamins diluted in water, she’s getting brighter but won’t eat (molasses gives her energy) and she’s walking around now. The lump isn’t hard or soft so I think it’s her neck, and she tips her head to the side. She’s beginning to get very light so we’re really trying to get her to eat, this is the lump 2 days after we found her. Also she is pooping but it’s mainly liquid, so we know it’s going through her system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 1910399 View attachment 1910395
Yes, she’s old so she does look a bit withered, it’s been 2 days of feeding her molasses and vitamins diluted in water, she’s getting brighter but won’t eat (molasses gives her energy) and she’s walking around now. The lump isn’t hard or soft so I think it’s her neck, and she tips her head to the side. She’s beginning to get very light so we’re really trying to get her to eat, this is the lump 2 days after we found her. Also she is pooping but it’s mainly liquid, so we know it’s going through her system.

Back
Top Bottom